El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1984 El Camino. switch on driver's door works both windows. NEW switch on passenger door will not work. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or suggestions? Occasionally, passenger window switch will work up only. HELP - going crazy

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Hmmm, Maybe a loose ground????:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Ok...check rh switch wiring for pwr/gd.
Then, open door, peel back rubber boot inside front door jamb to expose wiring. Visually inspect...you'll find a broken/almost broken wiring making contact occasionally...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ground wire passenger window

I have two wiring diagrams for the El Camino but neither matches my wire color. I have Blue, tan, pink, blue w/white, black w/blue. Which one is the ground? :dontknow:

·
Registered
449 Posts
behind the kick panel on the passenger side. There will be a plug for the harness for the passenger door. Its tucked in there pretty good. I would clean the contacts at that plug. I recently had to mess with the same thing you are dealing with. The plug will probley be behind the insulation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
next ?

I checked the plug and it is fine - good contact from switch to plug. The window goes up with the switch on the passenger door but not down. The driver's side switch will make the window go up and down. Very confusing.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Is the motor on the door solidly mounted , hold the passenger side switch and wiggle the plug/wiring harness etc.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
right power

Driver side switch(s) plugs into a 6 hole socket. They are in 2 rows of matching pins/holes (2 on bottom and 4 on top) The 1st wire going into the socket is PINK (power) and is one of the 2 bottom connectors. The last wire into the socket is BLACK (Ground for both sides) and is the other on the bottom row and the lead should bolt to the driver door. The remaining 4 row pin/socket should be in this order: blue/white(pass-up); brown(pass-down);blue(driver-up);blue/black(driver/down). I hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Checked both plugins from the door to the body and both were good but found that the ground between the two plugs inside the body was the problem. Hopefully tomorrow will confirm that the 'break' is inside the cabin. thanks for all the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts