El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill start with the Packaging since this is obviously the first impression of a product. I must say, even in 3 boxes, they really do a great job to make sure your parts are packaged properly! Everything is also labeled and protected, very professional. Intsructions were pretty good, more detailed pics would have been nice in some instances but the written explanations were good. If your fairly mechanically inclined, the whole kit is pretty self explanatory. The parts themselves seem to be fairly decent quality. Everything lined up and fit well. The only thing I had to drill was the brake pedal but that is just part of the conversion. The only trouble I ran into was the proportioning valve. I have a 72 that apparently already had a proportioning valve on it, but I wasnt really sure if I needed to replace the original one or somehow it worked in conjunction with the new one. This could have been explained in the instructions. Apparently, in 71, even drum brake cars had proportioning valves, not just distribution blocks. After a little research, i figured this out and just hooked up the lines right to the new master cylinder and didnt use the new proportioning valve. This kit included everything you need except brake fluid, wheel grease and a vacuum line (you would think it would have that). Overall, I think this kit was well worth the money and my Elky stops on a dime! That right there makes it worth every penny. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: about the proportioning valve, the stock one will put too much bias on the front brakes, the one included in the kit will need to be used but you can get by for a little bit with the stock valve. Your brake pedal will just not have much travel and wont feel "right". I ordered their lines to run their valve ill update again when I get them in

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: I bought the complete line kit from right stuff that was made for the conversion. Put all the lines on and the correct proportioning valve. Stopping power and pedal feel are now where they should be. I was a little leery about using pre-bent lines but they all lined up quite well with very little bending done on my part. The only thing I didn't use were the line brackets included in the kit, They just wouldn't line up and my elky used screws to fasten the brackets, so I couldn't use the bolts included in the kit as well. DDD, Ill try to get some pics up soon, I really didn't take too many while I was doing the conversion but I have a few.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The kit was 595.99 plus about 85 bucks shipping. The line kit(front and rear, hard lines and hoses) was 96.99 (i think) plus like 15 bucks shipping

1 - 5 of 5 Posts