El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Slowly planning out the upgrades to my baby. Got her nice and tuned up and she rumbles along like a dream. My next two expenditures are going to be a stereo and possibly new wheels.

Currently running the (stock?) rally rims, and I really do like the look of them, and new rubber going on soon enough. However, I would really like to get a taller rim and lower profile tires to give her a lower and wider look, without having to screw with the suspension or ride.

Problem is, I know nothing about the different types and styles. I definitely want the 'retro' look, and I do NOT want low-rider or 20"+ sizes. Almost everything I have seen in the wild has been one of those extremes, or cheap stock steel. Not interested.

So where can I find some resources to look into this? Where can I get an idea of what a wheel upgrade like I am thinking about would look like?

Thanks.

And no, Im not gonna sell the rallys when I upgrade.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,779 Posts
I don't like how the lower profile tires ride, they are very rough riding
I like having sidewalls under me (I like the 60 series sidewalls)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not looking to get the stupid thin tires. Having that fat looking rubber on the road is the best. I am looking to get a nice balance between a taller rim, a lower look, and an aggressive stance. Paper thin tires only work on super cars.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Look at the factory and aftermarket wheels on ‘60s and ‘70s GM musclecars. The sizes and offsets that work for Chevelles, Cutlasses, GTO, Buick GSs, Camaros and Firebirds will work for you. Torque Thrust IIs, Cragars, Chevy Rallies all are good choices. I like the ‘coulda been factory’ look of the ‘86-88 Monte Carlo N90s on mine. The main thing is fit and there’s a big thread on here about it. You want to stick to a tire height of roughly 26”, which a 235/60/15 is. Happy hunting!
Patrick

·
Registered
129 Posts
I personally really like the look of the Grand National rims on the Elkys. You can get aftermarket look-a-likes on ebay in 15-16" size from 7-10 widths.

There's a picture, somewhere (I can't find it now) of a really nice white '80 Diablo with those rims. Really suits the car well with enough rally to look stock, but enough aftermarket to change the size up.

Ah, found it.

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,581 Posts
I've got 15X8 4" BS GM Corvette Rallys on my '87 with 235/60 15's up front and 275/60 15's out back. Fit is tight but everything clears. You can read the full write up as a "sticky" in the wheels and tires sub-forum.
Bill

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I really like those Xtreme wheels. I worked with a guy who had an Xtreme and swapped wheels on it, but I didn’t need them when he was selling.
Patrick

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the pics. Im looking at the 16 or 17" size, w/ appropriate rubber. Just have to find the style I want, probably the chrome 5 spoke or something retro. Just need the time to do the research.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like those!
The front end sits a bit high though. Would I need suspension work to drop it a bit lower, or would that cause clearance issues?

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
235/60/16 on S-10 ZQ8 wheels. Clearance is tight and the fenders were trimmed at the front but all else is good!
WIN_20190629_20_30_00_Pro.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
I really like those Xtreme wheels. I worked with a guy who had an Xtreme and swapped wheels on it, but I didn’t need them when he was selling.
Patrick
Thanks! i just logged in for the first time in a while. i got the extreme wheels on Ebay for 200.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts