El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been reading for a while now and most posts that ask what rims and tire sizes I can use don't necessarily say what car they're being used on. So my question is, I have 14's and want to go bigger, stock suspension right now but will do what is necessary to go wider. Thinking of 16 or 17's and want as wide as I can go without issues, any help would be great. Wish someone whose gone through this would post a sticky like the one for g bodies..

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,683 Posts
Running on my 69 now and should fit any 3rd gen with stock suspension front & rear all my suspension is stock.

17" x 8" rim (Foose Legends)
235 x 55 x 17 front (Kumho SPT)
255 x 50 x 17 rear (Kumho SPT)

Kumho tires are great in my mind, this SPT style is used on a large amount of Corvettes when the guy does not want to pay for Goodyear Eagle F1's at twice or more the price per tire. Go to tire Rack for cost comparison I just put another set on the elky and they ran $116.00 per plus mount & balance for the above sizes. I recommend them to anyone for all reasons traction, looks, wear is normal, and the rain performance is way ahead of any tire I have had on the Elky ever and this is Florida.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Running on my 69 now and should fit any 3rd gen with stock suspension front & rear all my suspension is stock.

17" x 8" rim (Foose Legends)
235 x 55 x 17 front (Kumho SPT)
255 x 50 x 17 rear (Kumho SPT)

Kumho tires are great in my mind, this SPT style is used on a large amount of Corvettes when the guy does not want to pay for Goodyear Eagle F1's at twice or more the price per tire. Go to tire Rack for cost comparison I just put another set on the elky and they ran $116.00 per plus mount & balance for the above sizes. I recommend them to anyone for all reasons traction, looks, wear is normal, and the rain performance is way ahead of any tire I have had on the Elky ever and this is Florida.
Thanks that's very helpful, I've had good success with Kumho and purchase from Tirerack wholesale regularly through the business so I'll check it out.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,683 Posts
I believe that back space is the same as the stock 4 1/2", looked but the records are filled and not where I am.

·
Registered
572 Posts
3rd gen El caminos,have got a massive wheel well,and can fit a pretty large tire.I was running 20 x10s with a 275-35 tire for a while,but tired of them,as the 35 profile has very little give and therefore makes for a harsher ride,so went back to the 15in wheel,with a 60 profile tire,and feels so much nicer,as the tire absorbs the road better.Back to the fitment,4 1/2 in b/space is about perfect.Whatever you choose,enjoy..Pic of 20x10s

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3rd gen El caminos,have got a massive wheel well,and can fit a pretty large tire.I was running 20 x10s with a 275-35 tire for a while,but tired of them,as the 35 profile has very little give and therefore makes for a harsher ride,so went back to the 15in wheel,with a 60 profile tire,and feels so much nicer,as the tire absorbs the road better.Back to the fitment,4 1/2 in b/space is about perfect.Whatever you choose,enjoy..Pic of 20x10s

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u456/torino71martin/mypictures333.jpg
Nice, that's what I want to see, been thinking about 16's rather than 15's though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have torque thrust II's,17x7 up front, 17x8 out back with 4.5 backspace on both. pirelli nero zero's 245/45/17 up front 255/50/17 out back. I would have went with larger tires in the back, they look kinda small, but they are good tires and i dont get any rub. I LOVE the wheels though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts