El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a 76 camino and its time to put some wheels on it. i dont know what size i should go with. i was thinking eaither 15s or 17s. i dont know what width to go with eaither. oppinions please!!!!!

T

·
0 Posts
Take a look at different rim stores. Once you find the kind you want call them up and see if they have any suggestion on what size and backspacing will fit. That is what I did with the rims I bought for my 86 EL Camino. I bought chip foose nitrous and did not know what size to get. I never saw any 5th gen El Camino ever with them so I did not know what size to get.So I called up the manufacture and they told me. So try call up the maker of them once you find ones you want. You can also ask them if they think you should go with a 15,16 or 17.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
I've got 15x7's on mine right now with 235/60's right now. No rubbing but I can't get a much wider tire in a 15. I wanted a 245 but nobody made them and a 255 might be pushing it. I think I'm going for a 17. So long as the tire/wheel combo is the same height I should have no issues with changing ride height or effective gear ratios.

I'd think you could do up to a 245 without worrying about backspacing and rubbing. With 17's you'd have more room for bigger brakes too.

:nanawrench:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing for my 78. I had 215/65/15's front, and 255/60/15's rear on my 79 that looked good, but I would like to go with 17's or 18's on my 78 but don't know what offset to go with so they don't rub up front. Seems like almost everything I've had on the front will rub. Right now even the 205/75/15's rub every now and then on 7" wide stock rallys. :dontknow:

·
932 Posts
I run 235/60/15 on both my 72 and my 80 which were common sizes in the 80s and 90s , now tires are changing and 17s might be the way to go . Before you set on a tire, shop for prices and availability . Some rims and tire sizes are limited to a few brands of tires that are expensive .

·
Registered
402 Posts
26s sure would look good on that bad boy!! Lmao.. J/k I think I am going to put some 20s on mine by the middle of the summer but i love my rally wheels soo much

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am having the same problem looking for tires for my stock 15" rims.
My problem is I am lowering my Camino about 2" in the front and and about the same in the rear and worry about rubbing.
Was looking at a P24560R15 but looks like rub city, going to look into P23560R15's.

What I really want to know is if anyone have run a P20550R15 on the stockers with a lowered Camino with any rubbing issues.

Really would like to go with a low pro 50.

Any suggestions ?

P

·
0 Posts
hey guys i have a 76 camino and its time to put some wheels on it. i dont know what size i should go with. i was thinking eaither 15s or 17s. i dont know what width to go with eaither. oppinions please!!!!!
I'm running 265-50 15 8" rim (front) 295-50 15 10" rim (rear) no problems at all with rubbing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been eyeing a set of Coy's Wheels. They're lower budget. They used them for almost all of the cars in the new Fast/Furious movie.

www.coyswheel.com if you want to check them out.

I was looking for 17"x8" on my 5th gen.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,676 Posts
My 69 had the stock SS 14's for 40 years, finaly got bored and went to FOOSE 17's in the Legends. The 17 will give you a larger amount more tire options and you can keep the diameter where you would like it smaller larger or very near original size and get some width. Depending on how you wish the look getting the side wall size you like is easier. I went for a decent size side wall 50's and 55's as I don't like donut tires or rubber bands wrapped on a rim. As to the size of the rim that issue will never be settled if your buying your picking so pick 17's anything else looks wrong OPPS.

Good luck in your quest

·
Registered
19 Posts
i got 20's on mine now but gettn ready to put 22's on the rear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts