El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it recommended to replace the ring gear bolts when changing the ring and pinion. I have everything I need to change it out. I was going to reuse the ring gear bolts because the gear set is only 10-12 years old and maybe less than 5000 miles on it. But if its necessary I will

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Is it recommended to replace the ring gear bolts when changing the ring and pinion. I have everything I need to change it out. I was going to reuse the ring gear bolts because the gear set is only 10-12 years old and maybe less than 5000 miles on it. But if its necessary I will
I've heard it both ways from different techs I have worked with over the years. If I were just changing to a different ratio on an otherwise stock motor to get a bit more snap out of it I wouldn't hesitate to re-use the stock bolts with a bit of lock-tite. On just about anything else I would feel better with new bolts and from a known quality supplier like ARP etc...That's just me though.

Joe

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going back to 331 with 408 bbc. Has right around 425 horse with muncie 4 speed. Taking 373 out to give it a little more driveability. The 373 are nice but 331 will be better since bbc doesnt have the rpms of a sbc

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I'm going back to 331 with 408 bbc. Has right around 425 horse with muncie 4 speed. Taking 373 out to give it a little more driveability. The 373 are nice but 331 will be better since bbc doesnt have the rpms of a sbc
Yea, a bit more than stock. If it was me doing the same, I would replace with new. Just because.

Joe

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Believe it or not that is what is going in mine here in the next week or so. I didn't think to say because they came with my Quick Performance posi kit. I was just looking at them this afternoon with my Diff tech at work. Just got everything gathered for a rear end upgrade that should be able to handle the power this mild little 5.3 can give it! So, I it looks like I can't vouch for them yet, but they will be going in mine soon!

Joe

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. Summit said arp was 3/8-24 and .800 uhl..they also said possible 7/16 bolts also but most Chrysler and some 12bolt gm cars

1 - 9 of 9 Posts