El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you replace your ring & pinion set with another gearset, and subsequently decide you want the original ratio, can you reinstall the original gearset?

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Haven't tried it but could be done. Keep in mind that you will need to get the original re-installed with the original shims or the same replacements to keep the wear pattern correct. And there would always be the possibility of missing the original wear pattern. Real world terms, probably not a problem? Could be wrong but if changing gears I want new, even if I decide to go back to previous gear ratio.

Joe

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't tried it but could be done. Keep in mind that you will need to get the original re-installed with the original shims or the same replacements to keep the wear pattern correct. And there would always be the possibility of missing the original wear pattern. Real world terms, probably not a problem? Could be wrong but if changing gears I want new, even if I decide to go back to previous gear ratio.

Joe
Good point about wanting new. They’re not that expensive, I guess. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome. I bought the car in February and there was no maintenance history available. The truck is a 1968 factory 396 SS that I believe is the 375 HP version with a Th400 trans. I don't yet know what the 12-bolt differential ratio is. The motor is strong, has electric fans, a serpentine belt and dressup items. I don't know if the motor is otherwise stock, but the belt says maybe not. I'm presently installing a Dakota Digital dash, cruise control, TPMS and other modules. Next comes a limit-slip and probably 3.56 gears, though I may go with 3.73. Next comes EFI, maybe a cam, then I turn back to the interior for more mods my wife's not crazy about. And then... I'm glad you ask about my plans; we all love to talk about our baby. Doc

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome. I bought the car in February and there was no maintenance history available. The truck is a 1968 factory 396 SS that I believe is the 375 HP version with a Th400 trans. I don't yet know what the 12-bolt differential ratio is. The motor is strong, has electric fans, a serpentine belt and dressup items. I don't know if the motor is otherwise stock, but the belt says maybe not. I'm presently installing a Dakota Digital dash, cruise control, TPMS and other modules. Next comes a limit-slip and probably 3.56 gears, though I may go with 3.73. Next comes EFI, maybe a cam, then I turn back to the interior for more mods my wife's not crazy about. And then... I'm glad you ask about my plans; we all love to talk about our baby. Doc
P/S: the link didn't post, thanks, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts