El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1979 Royal Knight

Engine Specs and Modifications: Currently running a 305 from an '88 Caprice. Fed by the two-barrel Rochester that was on the car when I bought it.

Drivetrain Specs and Modifications: TH350 in front of the stock rear.

Suspension Specs and Modifications: Mostly stock. New air shocks and heavier rear springs from a caddy. Rear rims are 14x7 rallys wrapped with 245/60s.

Exterior Specs and Modifications: Car was a factory original Royal Knight. Found the build sheet with the paperwork when I bought it. Previous owner added a sunroof and a front end off an '80 before the car was repainted. Only thing I've really done is add a lower spoiler back on.

Interior Specs and Modifications: Nothing fancy. Replaced the bench with one in a little better shape from my '78. Aftermarket CD player in the dash, pair or 3.5 speakers in place of the center mono.

Electrical Specs and Modifications: Making due with what's left of the stock wiring. Added a toggle switch in the glovebox to bypass the broken heater controls.

Photographs:

Circa 2006ish:

More recent photos:

Sitting next to my brother's Ramcharger:

One more:

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Great to see an uncommon option El Camino. I spent many an hour with a friend of mine in his Royal Knight traveling around Wyoming and Colorado. I like the wheels that you have on it....just one more touch you don't see too often. It seems like most of the 14" wheels are gone away now. Nice work on posting Large photos too!
Craig

·
932 Posts
Nice to see a Royal Knight , first 5th gen i was ever in was a black knight. I would like to see more royal knight, black knight , ss, and Diablos painted with their original badging. Does the sun roof leak ?

·
Registered
591 Posts
i don't see too many royal knights just keep her rollin' like the plate too !!! :smileyb:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Suprisingly I've never had any real issues with the sunroof leaking, even after taking it apart to replace the headliner.

I really like how the stock rims look. I'm planning on keeping them, and having two of the 6 inch ones widened to get some bigger tires under the rear.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been a while since I updated this. Trying to get some of the photos back up that got lost when the site updated.

Car has been parked for about 8 years at my parent's place. Now that I have a garage of my own, I'm working at getting started on restoring it. I moved it out to get better access last summer, and about a month later one of the trees came down where it had been sitting:

Most recent photos:

Just picked up a donor with a clean frame and the correct front end.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome car! Any updates?
Donor car has tires that hold air now, but that's about it.

This one is at my brother's place, and my Royal Knight is at my parents'. Waiting for corona virus to calm down before transporting them both to me.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
two camper tops? watcha gonna do with them? going to make a trailer out of the donor elkie?
Not planning on keeping them. I have someone here in MN interested in the red one, and if anyone is around Idaho the white one is up for grabs. I'm probably going to be cutting up a good portion of the roller for metal that no one makes patch panels for.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Tough road ahead! Glad you're going forward restoring it. Preserving the heritage. That tree falling in it's spot is a true message validating your plans. 🤓

·
Registered
51 Posts
Where are you at in Idaho. I am by Spokane but I visit Nampa often as my kids live there. I would be interested in the white one

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My brother dropped of the donor car last week.

Really happy with how the frame and body mounts look.

Apparently the way to fix floorboards is to add a second layer of carpet.

Just about done stripping everything under the hood.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just noticed that when the site updated this thread somehow ended up in the detailing forum. Any chance I could get a mod to move it to the build forum?

Spent some time this weekend getting the body off of the frame from the donor car. Got the rest of the front end stripped off and started lifting the body.

I was using an engine chain bolted to the tailgate hinge mounts to lift the rear.

With the rear end riding on my floor jack, you need about two feet of clearance to get the high point of the frame out from under the body. I just cleared the 4x4 holding up the front.

And it's out! I'm pretty happy with how this looks. Well worth the trip to get a frame from out West.

Dropped the body onto a dolly and tucked it into the garage. I probably won't do much more with it until I can get the Royal Knight here and get both bodies side by side.

Just for funsies, I wanted to see how the big tires would look.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Next project s going to be removing all the original suspension. I've started soaking all the bolts I can get to with PB blaster.

Here's a good reference picture. I plan to notch the frame to clear as wide a tire as I can without cutting into the bed. The sharpie line on the frame is where the wheel well in the bed becomes the limiting factor on how far inbound a tire will fit. Looking back, I should have made the same mark on the other side to check how centered the body was.

Similar reference from the side. This shows where the edges of the wheel opening line up on the frame.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts