El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I've noticed that people in general are quick to criticize vendors when things go wrong, but not so quick with the praise when things go right. I bought new window felts/seals for both doors from Rockauto. They were delivered in about 5 days. The shipping box was crushed and bent in half. No way to know when it happened. I sent an e-mail to Rockauto asking what to do as the parts were ruined and not useable. The chrome strips on the top of the seals were kinked and couldn't be straightened. They called me on the phone the next day and after a short conversation sent replacements. No hassles, no grief. They were awesome. The four new seals arrived in perfect condition. The people at Rockauto really put customer satisfaction first. I just wanted to share this with everyone and encourage using Rockauto for your online parts purchases.:rockon:

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,082 Posts
I buy at Rock Auto often, had one instance with an issue with the PS pump that was sent not being the same as exactly as what was described, their Customer Service worked with me to get it right.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I for one, appreciate you posting this endorsement. "Customer service" is hard to find these days, especially when dealing online. I have never bought from Rock Auto and have been considering doing so because I need shocks for wife's ride. BTW, I hate their cartoon commercials!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I've bought from them multiple times.

Never had an issue.

As for their commercials, not the greatest but you remember them. I guess that's what counts.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I've never had a problem with RockAuto. Never. They're batting 1.000 with me.

Not a fan of their animation or the song. But, I have to admit that song does stick in your brain. I guess THAT'S what it's supposed to do.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I for one, appreciate you posting this endorsement. "Customer service" is hard to find these days, especially when dealing online. I have never bought from Rock Auto and have been considering doing so because I need shocks for wife's ride. BTW, I hate their cartoon commercials!
James, the only problem I've ever had with RockAuto was some Monroe shocks I bought.
I have a 97 4Runner and bought new complete front struts and rear shock.
After installing them and driving for a couple of days, the ride never got smooth and the rear end was not level. I called RA, they told me that I would have to call Monroe direct since RA does not warranty Monroe products. So I call Monroe and told them of the harsh ride and rear squat. They told me to measure the wheel opening from the ground and compare it to what it was before I installed their shocks! How in the heck was I supposed to do that? Does anyone measure before and after? since I could not do what they asked, Monroe would not replace the shocks.
RockAuto really dropped the ball on this one since they did not stand behind the product they sell. I will not buy from them again.
I did have to buy more shocks so a simple , fairly inexpensive shock replacement ended up costing me $800 with me doing all of the labor.
So James, if you do get shocks from RA, don't buy Monroe!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think Rock Auto is great too. The only problem I've had was when I bought a bunch of parts and didn't use them right away. In the process of taking my EC apart I keep a list of parts I need and order a bunch of parts some every once in a while when I can afford it. When I tried to install a couple of the parts they were the incorrect parts. I sent them an email about it and they told me that it was way past the 30 day return window. When I told them that the problem was that these incorrect parts are still shown on their website as being the correct parts for my EC they said they'd check into it. The next day they told me I was right and told me to keep the incorrect parts and they would send me the correct parts with free shipping.

·
Registered
329 Posts
James, the only problem I've ever had with RockAuto was some Monroe shocks I bought.
I have a 97 4Runner and bought new complete front struts and rear shock.
After installing them and driving for a couple of days, the ride never got smooth and the rear end was not level. I called RA, they told me that I would have to call Monroe direct since RA does not warranty Monroe products. So I call Monroe and told them of the harsh ride and rear squat. They told me to measure the wheel opening from the ground and compare it to what it was before I installed their shocks! How in the heck was I supposed to do that? Does anyone measure before and after? since I could not do what they asked, Monroe would not replace the shocks.
RockAuto really dropped the ball on this one since they did not stand behind the product they sell. I will not buy from them again.
I did have to buy more shocks so a simple , fairly inexpensive shock replacement ended up costing me $800 with me doing all of the labor.
So James, if you do get shocks from RA, don't buy Monroe!
Yes, I had the same problem with Monroe shocks AND got the same result. Some things you're better off dealing with AZ or OR.
I think some of RA's stuff are factory seconds or returns. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I buy at Rock Auto often, had one instance with an issue with the PS pump that was sent not being the same as exactly as what was described, their Customer Service worked with me to get it right.
I've bought from them multiple times.
Never had an issue.
I've never had a problem with RockAuto. Never. They're batting 1.000 with me.
ditto. only ever had problems twice. the first time they said keep the part, the second time they said send it back at their cost and they would send the correct part. (it was a database issue both times)

they're not always the cheapest, especially when you factor in shipping on heavy items (like rotors) but they're usually the cheapest by a good shot and the customer service can't be beat!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Over the past few years ordering for the elky..I found that they have the high quality stuff.. MOOG,KYB...etc. at half the cost than here locally, but most times with an acceptable small shipping charge, but its still well worth it, best of the best customer service like everyone says. One time I called their C.S. and asked what brand name was a particular premium quality MAF sensor they had, I told the guy, the advertisement stated "equivalent to PN's xxxxxx,xxxxx, etc. I said the one PN was a DENSO, if I was to order that premium quality one would I get the equivalent or THAT DENSO PN one, I said I would want that DENSO brand and nothing else..(the others where BOSCH..and some others). He said hold on, let me double check that brand in the warehouse! He came back and said he grabbed a DENSO one for me if I wanted it (Many times this would be B.S. at other places, then when you get it, it would be wrong). he asked me what my email was because he would take a pic and send it. I received the email pic with him holding the DENSO box w/PN displayed. I thought that was unbelievable that someone would do that. I bought it over the phone on the spot...worked as I expected! Oh,yea it took his email about 5 minutes to get to me and he stayed on the line with me!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
In my short period of time working on my restomod, I've probably ordered from everyone who has El Camino parts. Rock Auto is usually the best price. My most recent experience, they sent lower ball joints with no boots and initially insisted that what they sent were the next gen with integral boots. Well a picture is worth a thousand words so to speak and they would have replaced them . I was under time constraints and the arms were sent out for refurb so just decided to get energy boots. Not a big fan of no phone number but they are responsive to email.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Paul you are right. Rock auto goes in and buys all the warranty returns from the local parts stores. They put them on a skid and they have to buy the whole skid.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Paul you are right. Rock auto goes in and buys all the warranty returns from the local parts stores. They put them on a skid and they have to buy the whole skid.
don't know about that. all the stuff I get from them is clean and packed in "new" boxes with the items typically sealed in poly bags inside.
the one exception was starter for a Ford351W that was $30 after shipping and looked like a re-furb with bad spray paint job, but it worked

·
Registered
239 Posts
I know that to be true from the seminars i was at when i worked for one of the local parts stores.. Granted not all of the returns looked like crap, some just were returned because it didnt fit or they just didnt need anymore

1 - 16 of 16 Posts