El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
You'd like to think he would at least post a decent picture of that $17,000 ride...but then again, I guess he needs to hide all that Rhode Island rust.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
That's more than 4 times what I paid for my 87 SS and it's all original other than the paint, which will soon be going back to the original color.

I think some one should tell him to put the happy meal down and step away slowly...

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Thats more than 5 times what I paid for my 84 Conquista and it only had 93k miles. Maybe this guys wife is making him sell it and he doesn't really want to let it go, or maybe he should take a urinalysis test :lol

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Maybe he fell off the cliff walk in Newport? There is a 1986 Super Sport for sell in Chattanooga for $5200. Original paint, could use new paint, but very high optioned '86. I drove it recently and considered buying it, but wife said two toys are enough for now. The guy did let me copy his invoice sheet. He's the second owner, he purchased it 18 months ago from his boss. I believe it's got 96,000 miles on the 305. If someone put another $3-4,000 in this Elky, he'd have a show quality vehicle. Here's a pic I took-- http://www.necoa.org/images/86SS_1.jpg

·
Banned
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We Rhode Islanders are quite passionate about our El Caminos. However, those folks over in Newport are from the Gilded Age and have always been a bit on the eccentric side. Maybe this is one of the legendary Vanderbilt El Caminos. :roll:

I think I'll call him and invite myself over for Tea and Crumpets.

:mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Ernie, you're too much...don't forget to ask for extra crumpets.

·
Banned
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'll call him and invite myself over for Tea and Crumpets.
Ok, so maybe I'm a B-B'er (or maybe I just have too much time on my hands). I have an appointment to see this Elky on Saturday morning. I'm going to bring my digital camera. This is going to be fun. I sure hope he serves real crumpets and not just english muffins.

BTW, he told me on the phone that:
1. It's in excellent condition.
2. It was made in TN.
3. He used to live in TX when he bought it. :wink:
4. It's been re-painted twice.
5. Last summer he spent $6,700 on a paint job. 8O

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
$6700.00 for a paint job...Geez, I think we're in the wrong business! Maybe that's $700 for the paint, and the other $6000 in rust and body repair.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
CHVYPWR said:
He's probably one of those goofballs who thinks just because a vehicle isn't made anymore, it automaticly becomes a priceless peice :roll: That'd be like putting a clean 100K mile Chevette up for sale for $8000 :lol:
Man, thank God most of those turds are off the road now. I remember installing several a/c units in them, and removing compressers to do tune-ups. Another all time favorite was Vegas.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
BTW, he told me on the phone that:
1. It's in excellent condition.
2. It was made in TN.
3. He used to live in TX when he bought it. :wink:
4. It's been re-painted twice.
5. Last summer he spent $6,700 on a paint job. 8O

I don't believe El Caminos were produced in Tennessee. (outside of the Choo Choo Customs, Inc. SS's, were final assembled in Chattanooga).

·
Banned
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got home from looking at this Elky. I've got to admit that it's the nicest looking 83 El Camino I've seen in a long time. The picture on ebay certainly doesn't do it justice. I drove the Elky all around Newport and it's a great running vehicle too. This guy is very anal about keeping every receipt he ever got for work done on it too.

But, is it worth $17K or even $10K? Not by a long shot. The guy told me he got his apraisal at a used car lot. The owner of the lot wanted to take the Elky in on consignment and told him he could get $17K for it.

He wants to buy an S-10 and needs to sell the Elky to do it. We got to talking price and he asked me how much I thought it's worth. I told him if I were selling it I'd be happy to get $6-7K. He offered it to me for $6,500. I declined.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts