El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ello yall, its been a bit since I've been active here on the board but school takes up all my time. Anyways, this summer I wanna put a cage into me sprint. I was thinking of using this kit:

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1973-1977...nt-Roll-Bars/8-Point-Roll-Bar-Mild-Steel.html

My welding skills are somewhere around experienced novice, do yall think this is too big of a undertaking for me? And, does the cage have to attach on certain parts of the body?

Also, does anyone know anything about wheel tubs? I was thinking about tubbing the back for wider tires, what else would I have to do to support this? Frame notching?

How is summit brand stuff in general? I thinking about buying the drag shocks does anyone use them? And would drag shocks hurt regular road maneuverability?

This is my inspiration by the way: http://www.elcaminoplace.com/images/cruisers/chevyelcaminob.jpg :twisted:

·
Registered
554 Posts
A while back there was a thread on frame notch try the search you should be able to find it. The roll cage should be mounted to the frame. Good luck have fun and take lots of pictures.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Two points to think about...... Remember why you are putting in a cage, if your welding skills are borderline, err on the side of safety and have a pro build you one. Second, forget drag shocks on the street. At best your street handling will be poor and drag shocks are unsafe on a daily driver. There is a reason they are called drag shocks.... Be safe and have fun...

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
The square shaded pads in the photo of the kit are the plates that the down tubes are to be welded to, and those plates get welded to the Frame at there location.
In other words ~~~ this is a PRE-FAB KIT, and will only go where it is designed to go, UNLESS you re-configure the Unit ----NOT RECOMENDED !!:dontknow:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The square shaded pads in the photo of the kit are the plates that the down tubes are to be welded to, and those plates get welded to the Frame at there location.
In other words ~~~ this is a PRE-FAB KIT, and will only go where it is designed to go, UNLESS you re-configure the Unit ----NOT RECOMENDED !!:dontknow:
Awesomeness thats, what I thought. I plan on doing a little mini suspension upgrade, I getting a front and rear sway bar, shocks, and lowering springs. Can yall think of anthing that would help me corner like a champ without compromising ride quality too much?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts