El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know what area to post this in, so I guessed here.

I was thinking that maybe while I have my El in pieces I should put a roll cage in. Anyone ever done a roll cage in an El? What are the build specs if I want it to be NHRA legal?

I'm not concerned that I'm going to roll it at the track or anything, I'm more concerned about rolling it street racing or driving like a maniac.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
ASU Camino said:
I'm more concerned about rolling it street racing or driving like a maniac.
:roll:

Hmmm...Not to preach, but racing is meant for the track! But, If that's what you really want to do how about auto x's? But then again, I really don't think Elkie's were meant for twisties.

Aside from that I would think the least you'd be able to get away with in an El Camino would be a 6 point.

Comments guys ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
87SS said:
Hmmm...Not to preach, but racing is meant for the track! But, If that's what you really want to do how about auto x's? But then again, I really don't think Elkie's were meant for twisties.

Aside from that I would think the least you'd be able to get away with in an El Camino would be a 6 point.
I can't tech at a track, and plus the local track stinks, they do zero prep work and the equipment is not reliable. It's one thing to weave your honda in and out of rush hour traffic, it's another to go out on a road in the middle of the desert and run it old school style.

Eventually I want to do something like the Gumball 3000 with the El. That would be awesome. :twisted:

As far ask cages go, I have no idea what a 6-point is, I'm still new to the drag racing scene.

·
Registered
74 Posts
6 point roll cage refers to the number of mounting points of the roll cage. Here, more is better, the more points, the sturdier the cage is. I wish I knew of any links that would show you diagrams or layouts of common rollcages but I'm not much of a netsurfer.

Personally, I have only seen one photo of an El Camino with a roll cage and that was a '68, all-out drag car featured in a Summit catalog last year. It looks like you'll have to sacrifice your rear window if you plan on installing a 6 point roll cage. Besides from protecting you in case of a rollover, the roll cage also stiffens the frame (cages are always mounted to the frames in cars with frames) but a 2 point or 4point isn't going to do much in that department.

Another point to consider is that when a roll cage is installed in a car, interior space is severely compromised and in an El Camino, the room on the inside can't really stand shrinking any further, in my opinion.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I saw a pretty decent cage in a 79 elky that actually tied to the back frame supports ( thru the rear window) i think it was plexiglass,but it sure looked good, the car was full tubed and i liked the look fo the roll cage,if i find any pics of where i saw it, i'll post them,if anyone gets a idea,i would be interested to see how it was done..later.. :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
I saw a pretty decent cage in a 79 elky that actually tied to the back frame supports ( thru the rear window) i think it was plexiglass,but it sure looked good, the car was full tubed and i liked the look of the roll cage,if i find any pics of where i saw it, i'll post them,if anyone gets a idea,i would be interested to see how it was done..later.. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
How about a main hoop, a bar across the back, two door bars with pins and two angle bars going through the body under the window to 6x6 plates on the frame? No need to cut the window.

·
Registered
314 Posts
doesn't the gumball run cost like 25,000 to enter?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Roll Bar/ Cage

I am new to this site..(very cool btw) I own a 76' El Camino drag car/truck. I would encourage you to do your high performance driving at the track....With that said S&W Racecars in PA. makes a rollbar or rollcage for the El Camino. I have a 8pt. rollbar in mine. NHRA rules states that that is satisfactory to run 10.00 (1/4 mi.) if you havent altered your floor or firewall. S&W has a website www.swracecars.com Thier rollbar fit nicely inside the car and need minor trimming and fitting. They also make a "side bar swing out kit" that allows easier access to the seats. Good Luck with your project. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
roll cage

You don't need to give up your rear window. Take a look at a nascar truck. Run the rear bars out of the top of the rear body pnl above the window.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts