El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I wanted to see if you all had some advice on next steps to explore around a transmission issue I'm experiencing on an 84 El Camino with a 350 turbo transmission that isn't original to the car.

The issue is the car often rolls when in park. Sometimes the shifter can be finessed to properly get the car in park. I took the car up to a local transmission shop and they thought the linkage might not be correct. Based on the VIN, they suggested the linkage for the original V6 engine might be in place and suggested looking for a V8 version of the linkage. Overall, I got the impression they just weren't interested in working on it.

I don't know enough to know whether "linkage" in this case is separate from a shifter cable, or exactly what's going on. Do you all have suggestions on how to properly diagnose the ultimate culprit? I'm Inclined to find a shop that's more willing to work with an older Chevy ecosystem. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
welcome E
is this a column shift or floor shift ??
got pics of the linkage ??

could be a easy fix in the linkage at the trans or at the column
or the bad news
could be the parking pawl [park lock ] in the trans..

the trans for a V8 and V6 is in the same location,
but the linkage may be for a different trans or year ??

check this pic

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,572 Posts
Disconnect the shifter cable or rod from the transmission, move the shift lever on the side of the trans all the way into park until it stops. Then, adjust the cable or rod until it aligns with the trans lever.

Bill

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Disconnect the linkage and see if park holds the car. It might be an issue inside the transmission, if it is its not very hard to fix. If you drop the pan you will see, its all self explanatory...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Following up, I adjusted the shifter rod and the car stays in park about 90% of the time which is a huge improvement. Every once in a while it will disengage from park once I let up on the brakes. Also, it can be difficult shifting out of park, skipping over reverse. But the majority of the time, it's much improved.

I think it's worth another round of adjusting the rod again and see if I can strike a more perfect balance.

·
Super Moderator
2,142 Posts
This may not be a fix but, the shifter could need to be lubricated in the column. Mine use to lock up while trying to put it in park. I lubricated the shift lever and it freed it up. Now I do not have an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This may not be a fix but, the shifter could need to be lubricated in the column. Mine use to lock up while trying to put it in park. I lubricated the shift lever and it freed it up. Now I do not have an issue.
On which side of the firewall were you able to do that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts