El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first time El Camino owner here. Long story short, I get into my truck one day to and try to start it but not only did it not want to start but the alarm would go off when i turned the key. I disconnected the alarm system so that would stop but I’m still left with a truck that won’t start. I really want to see if it’s something I can fix so any tips on what I should inspect would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
welcome E
could be a Alarm problem ?? is the Battery Charged ??
it may also have a Ignition or Starter Interrupt wired in to keep the
Elky from starting or running while the Alarm is triggered..

try arming and dis-arming the alarm a few times,, to kinda see if its working right..
if that don't work, you could try a remote starter switch hooked to the starter,
just to see if there is a problem with the starter or something else..

its really hard to say from here,
there's a 100 different ways to wire-up the alarms for different tricks / features..

·
Registered
259 Posts
E_franco024, welcome to ECC, from a '78 and '79 in Seattle.
Try JJLT1's suggestion, turn everything off, and back on again. If that doesn't work and the battery checks good, turn everything off again and do a hardboot reset by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
Hi E_franco024, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. What year is your El Camino and where abouts are you located?

·
Registered
259 Posts
E_franco024,
I know where El Monte is, I grew up in Cypress, in Orange County. Did a lot of cruising I-5, I-605, I-405, hwy 91, etc., cruised Whittier Blvd a few times, back in the late 70's, early 80's.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The alarm going off reminds me of something I saw once while waiting for my wife. It was the mid eighties, and I saw this old man load a couple of bags of groceries into two tone brown Buick. He had trouble starting the car and in a short time had the hood open trying to spot something out of place. He struggled for a while and I was just about to go over to help him when he closed the hood picked up his grocery bags and walked over four spaces to a nearly identical Chevrolet and drove away.

With the alarm going off you're sure it's your car?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts