El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Okay I'm having another issue. I was finally able to take my Holley off. I thought my starter issue was a carburator issue and so I adjusted the Holley out of whack and decided to go ahead and mount up the Quadrajet I bought. I have to say that with the Quadrajet on there she sounds great, smooth. The only issue is she idles extremely high. A bit about the carb. I had to buy a new accelerator pump for her. The idle screw isnt screwed in at all. I took it off and the accelerator pump arm is not even attached. Also I have none of the choke hooked up. I had this carb sitting at my sister's and I guess from all the times of them moving it around all of the rods that connect everything have been lost. Could the choke be stuck or something and I can't move it and is there anyway I can completely disable that choke from use in any way. Honestly I could do without the choke on there at all right now if that possible.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Timing seems fine but she has always had that classic car white smoke out the tail pipe issue from valve seats being bad so I bought the entire gasket set off of Rockauto valve seats included for $25. On sale and, since it was so cheap, I went and bought a double roller timing chain and gears for $15. And what was crazy was it wasn't in the economy section either. These were from the standard section except the timing chain and gears were from the performance section. But now she runs fine. No bog down on the way to high idle rpm. It's not raised all the way up but. I would say about 3000 rpm or so. I still need to hook my tachometer up. Went from the economy cluster, speedo, gas, oil light, big clock, to the performance cluster, speedo, gas gauge, oil gauge, volts, temp, tach and little clock. Not sure if the sending units are attached or where to attach them. Hoping to get that done soon. I did notice that there is a spot on my distributor that has a plug for a tach and there something plugged in but I have investigated much further. But about my current issue I feel as though it had something to do with the choke and I'm attaching a picture of a book my buddies gave me. Great for fixing and tuning but not much on the trouble shooting part. So it is double maybe triple recommended idle. The idle screw is take out and the accelerator pump arm is removed. Installed new accelerator pump. Also none of the choke is hooked up or even connected to each other. Thanks you guys. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,242 Posts
the hi-idle is probly the fast idle step part of the choke..

push down on the green lever.. see the arrow in the pic ???
if that fixes the hi-idle
tie it down with a small tie-wrap or wire..
qjet DIGGS.jpg

or

if the black cover on the choke turns,, that is the adjustment,,
turn it clock-wise and that will disable it..

normally you drill out the rivets,, and use self-tapping screws,,
but sometimes they will turn without drilling..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
When I pulled the green lever is started to die. The more I pulled the faster it died. I see that it controls the butterfly over the small ports. All the way closed it dies. All the way open and it revs. So I tried to tie it down somewhere in between and adjust the idle screw to compensate and the best I've been able to get is a rough as hell idle and no get up and go with alot of sputtering and wanting to die and for some reason the brakes are acting like the car just died. They got extremely stiff. Almost couldn't use them.

·
Registered
12,242 Posts
as for the linkage rods on the carb,
go by a welding shop and get some 1/8"inch or so welding rod..
then you can make your own linkage.. get some QJet pics off the net..
Valve Seats is not something you will be able to do..
that's a Machine Shop job, very labor intensive, and
probly way to expensive for stock head prices, they are cheap..

white/blue smoke at start-up is usually Valve Stem Seals,,
white/blue smoke all the time may be the Valve Seals and Piston Rings,,
or your sucking oil up thru the PCV or Intake Gaskets..
read-up and do some testing,, diagnose the problem,,
otherwise your just a parts changer, and probly wasting moneys...
link> Valve Stem Seals
to make the Oil Pressure and Temp Gauge work youll need to
change out the on/off idiot light switches for Gauge Senders
that have variable ohm signal for the gauge..
link> Oil Sender
link> Temp Sender

·
Registered
12,242 Posts
best I've been able to get is a rough as hell idle and no get up and go with alot of sputtering and wanting to die
yes youll have to adjust the idle screw now..
and the idle fuel circuits may be plugged, or need adjusting,,
try 1-1/2 to 2 turns out from lightly seated..
with the throttle open farther on the fast idle step,,
it was probly running off the transition slots and main jets..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I watched a video on the valve seats and opted out of all of that. She drinks oil pretty badly. Could be the piston rings but she stopped smoking all the time like when I first got her. I know I had to have the front end looked at and the shop that looked at it was extremely surprised. I liked them. I just asked them to look at it and $40 and a day later and they diagnosed the issue for me and was extremely surprised. They said I had a real gem. It seems other then the carb, eldelbrock manifold and flow master exhaust it was all original. Nothing else had ever been changed. Including suspension. Had to put on a whole new front suspension. Like I said diagnosing is something I'm still working on. Tell me an issue about a motorcycle and I can diagnose it before you even finish what your telling me but a car, although the same concept, is quite a bit different. Right now my only concern is getting her running. Do you think that a full carburator rebuild kit is in order? I'm trying to get her ready for a 3 hour trip by Sunday. I need to go pick up a motorcycle out of town and she is my daily, hauler, and my only vehical. I have been driving her everyday for about 9 months and am just now having engine issues so im still pretty impressed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
  1. I figure I might as well show everyone what I'm working with. These are some pics of the literature I have. One for the truck, one for the Holley and one for the Rochester.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Here is a pic of the carb that was on it when I bought the truck. It's a Holley. Everyone says it's to big and when i would have to give her a little more gas than expected she would fall on her face but other than that she ran great. Ran rich but great. Then one day she didn't didnt.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'll take some pics of the engine during the day so you can see what I'm working with under the hood. Also I'm not looking to fix her up and sell her. My goal is to have her run good, sound good and look good. That's all. Not looking to drag race or toss some massive engine in her or anything. I just want her to run like she should when it comes to under the hood. The flow masters have the perfect sound I want and the cosmetics is where she will really turn heads. I have my own ideas for that. Since I have the sound I want my next step is the engine before cosmetics. I never had an issue with her being able to tow anything. Had a bike that weighed over 1000 lbs in the bed and she moved it like a champ. Not a single issue. I do appreciate all your help. I'm still new at all this car stuff. Some bike stuff is the same lingo but there are a few things you have mentioned that might as well be French but I'm working on that now. I will get welding rod tomorrow and get the choke and all that working and running properly. I'm sure Ill have 1000 more questions so thank you for your patience

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I would stick with the Q-jet. You say the butterfly has no linkage and the welding rod might get things working right, if not, just wire it wide open, it's almost summer. You might have to pump the throttle to get it started and keep it running with your right foot for a few minutes but warmed up should be OK since you have said the motor runs good with it other than when you closed the butterfly/choke. The pics of the Holley show it has had the choke deleted or possibly an earlier race only model. I've built a lot of Holley carbs and I have never seen the bowl vents connected and might be the reason for that pressure problem you have mentioned, hopefully someone recognizes that and can shed some light on it for me. One other thing other than timing and actual idle RPM's, have you checked the plugs lately? Oil fouled plugs also have some of the symptoms you have described. I had a 72 Chevelle that needed the #3 and #7 plugs cleaned about every 700 miles they fouled so bad. If you get to valve seats, you might as well just pull the motor and do a complete re-build. New valve seats on an older bottom end will create so much blow-by that the timing cover and rear main will leak like they weren't even there! Good luck!

Joe

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My issue is solved once and for all. I had 2 broken spark plugs. So the reason she was running rough was because of 2 broken spark plugs and the reason for the electrical cutting in and out was because the starter was broken. Both of my issues solved and she is back running well again.

·
Registered
12,242 Posts
(y) WTG Diggs

remember 2 or 3 or 4 threads back, when we asked-
what do the sparkplugs look like ??
did you get the stripped out Carb to Intake Bolts fixed ??
Joe
the bowl vents on are for a Marine motor application.. [that's a boat] ..
it would direct a stuck float fuel leak into the motor, [semi-contained]
rather than a big puddle in the bilge, waiting for the starter to spark...

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
(y) WTG Diggs

remember 2 or 3 or 4 threads back, when we asked-
what do the sparkplugs look like ??
did you get the stripped out Carb to Intake Bolts fixed ??
Joe
the bowl vents on are for a Marine motor application.. [that's a boat] ..
it would direct a stuck float fuel leak into the motor, [semi-contained]
rather than a big puddle in the bilge, waiting for the starter to spark...
Thanks JJ! I never would have suspected marine applications. I have never seen that one.

Joe

21 - 38 of 38 Posts