El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall,

I went to a pick n' pull last week and one of the guys was talkin with us sayin. The whole rearend( above, connecting points, the chassis, frame arms) rot out and end up needing to be replaced. He said that he has had people cut the back ends of montes and elkies cause thiers fell apart.

He said i was a lucky one if mine isnt crumbleing apart, or about to fall apart.

My question is i cant tell:dontknow: i mean sure i got some surrface rust under there but thats what you expect from a 28 year old car. I probably need new bushings but how do you tell if its gonna fall apart on ya ? I have been looking at it these past couple days and i cant figure it out, so i was wondeeing if any of you had hear of this or can tell if a rear of a car is shot.

Thanks for your input

Brandon

·
Registered
109 Posts
If there's no holes or deep rust then its fine the ones that are falling apart got drove around in the winter with all the salt.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I recently replaced all the control arm bushings on my 80. Everything is so thick I don't see how it could ever crumble. Sure, there's a little rust. Brush it off and spray on some of the various brands of the rust inhibitor paint. After that dries, spray some regular black auto enamel. Everything will look like new and last another 30 years.

Jack

·
Registered
589 Posts
They're exaggerating. Of course, those who need to replace these parts come to the junkyard, so it may seem to those working there it is a G-body wide problem. Not so. Obviously the problem would be more pronounced in the snow-belt.

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,581 Posts
Actually, frame corrosion was at its worst in 1978, the first year of the new frame. GM was replacing some rear rails under warranty, as they were weakening inside of 3 years. I do believe that something changed in later years, as the problem wasn't nearly as bad on 80's G-bodies. As far as checking yours, take a light ball peen hammer and lightly tap any suspect areas. You'll know by the tone if you have any weak areas.

Bill

·
Registered
11 Posts
In the New England States, typically where road salt prevails all winter, El Caminos were noted to have severe frame rot behind the rear axle. When looking at several 80's vintage Elky's I have found this to be true. The saying in my parts, NH, is that if you own an Elky that has no frame rot behind the rear axle you are lucky. My 87 Caballero was rust proofed three times in it's life thanks to its original owner and it has not suffered that fate.

While traveling in Arkansas on business this past week I noticed there obviously there is not rust. What I did notice is the trade off is that interiors are trashed from the intense heat, whereas in the northeast the interiors can be found in fairly good shape.

Not sure if where we are requires State inspections. But any place that offers State inspections will be the ones that determine the actual condition. But if you are looking for a "frame off" restoration and or that perfect car then it can be replaced.

Hope this helps.

Carl

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I searched for quite some time liking for a rust free new england elky, I have seen that upper control arm area rotted. I've also seen a big block car rip the upper arms out on a hard launch. It's not the stringers point of the frame

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've had two parts car recently and both frames were shot (both cars were from Illinois). You could actually put your foot on the rear bumper and it would move up and down with no effort bracause the frame rails were bad. My car came from Las Vegas and its beautiful underneath it. but the interior was pretty much dust. So I took the body of a dessert car and an interior of a salt belt car and made a good one.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Like above, my old 86 had frame rot to the point where the bumper literally fell on the ground. The 85 I have now has been off the road for at least 6 yrs and it still has a like new frame under it.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Aside from the road salt another contributing factor could be the holes in that area of the frame collect dirt and debris kicked from the rear wheels. That might prevent some drainage after splashing through puddles and cause the frame to hold water/moisture longer speeding up the process. Might be a good idea to periodically clean the chassis.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
There were some pic somewhere on here that showed those pieces about to fall off with so much rust. I looked at mine took a hammer and srarted tapping away somw rust but no eaten out areas.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I live in CT. I picked up my 85 from Wocester Mass. There are two areas that are going to be welded in the next few weeks. on the drivers side rear there is a "body monut I think its called, an the frame or mount around the steering box. There is a gentleman in East Hartford, CT that is going to do the work for me for $600. I need to find a self service garage that I can lift the car and scrub and paint. Anyone in CT know of such a place?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts