El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a minor problem with the recently purchased Elco.
At idle with air on and it a muggy day setting in line at Burger King which is not the fastest fast food , the temperature shot up very fast and started having trouble runing......switched the air off..... picked up my purchase and got the car out on the road. Temperature dropped as soon as rpms got up.
My question.....is this something that is common with a 350 crate w/mild cam or do I or should I upgrade cooling system with a cool looking radiator and fan assembly in chrome of course.
Bill

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,311 Posts
is it the original radiator? has it ever been cleaned? did you ask the person who sold it whether they've had any coolant work done? were the engine block water jackets ever cleaned out?
inquiring minds want to know

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
When its climbing to a hot level of temperature, pop it into neutral and up the idle RPM using your foot to maybe 1000-1200 RPM. If the temperature comes down, your cooling is maybe somewhat water pump constrained. Maybe a thermostat problem here or an old water pump. Consider a high volume water pump from Melling.

What fan type - electric or manual? If manual, how old is its thermostatic clutch? Do you have a tightly fitting radiator fan shroud?

Rick

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That part of this car looks original, the fan , shroud, looks like thermostat has been replaced. In gear at idle with air on temp climbs but with tran out of gear and air on it holds pretty steady.
What was mentioned was condition of the radiator and I looked at it and don't like the way it looks.
Don't think problem is in the engine as it's about a 7 year old 350 crate but very little time on.it so for now with what u all have said I will replace thermostat. Maybe clean out engine and replace fan with a more visibly pleasing one , aluminum radiator.
And in May I think is Gainesville Raceway and lot of Caminos will be there so that will be this new Elco's first meet.
Anyway as soon as the market rebounds I'll take my Rmd and get started on cooling refit.
Oh and what type fan.....electric???
Will do that water pump too.
Thx
Bill

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
The 1st thing I would check is the fan clutch , I had a similar problem years ago & that was the problem . The 2nd thing I would check is the thermostat , I run a 160 degree thermo & it always runs cool but it will warm up when stuck in traffic .

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Similar to you, mine acts the same way. Florida heat and humidity is tough on any system. When mine gets near 190 I turn the air off, put in neutral and get the RPM up a little like B52 says and it comes down as soon as I start to move.
That's exactly how mine acts but I'm still going to update my cooling system for one thing the wife says she will drive this Elco , she did not like the last one, and she will not watch the temperature at idle in gear at a stop .
So hopefully I'm thinking with electric fans and new aluminum radiator that will take care of it.
She never has the air off and this Camino has good air.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
986 Posts
I'd put a 190/195 thermostat in there. When the thermostat is too low, it stays open too long and doesn't stay in the rad long enough, which is great for cruising but lousy for low rpm sitting with little airflow through the rad. With a higher tstat it holds the coolant in the rad longer, which gives it more time to dissipate its heat before moving to the block.
You get better temp regulation overall.

That, and gm engineers chose the higher tstat for a reason, helps with O², smog, fuel vaporation etc.

·
Registered
214 Posts
What brand of fan are you running? The cheap Chinese fans don't pull enough air for cooling at idle. The fans from Entropy will keep things cool. They pull more amps than bargain fans and require their own relays to feed them. Get the dual fan setup and set up each fan for a different setting one that comes on at 170 and the other at 190.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What brand of fan are you running? The cheap Chinese fans don't pull enough air for cooling at idle. The fans from Entropy will keep things cool. They pull more amps than bargain fans and require their own relays to feed them. Get the dual fan setup and set up each fan for a different setting one that comes on at 170 and the other at 190.
That what I've been looking at in OPG catalog. The dual fan looks good to me. Don't t know what in there now, it could be original equipment single fan. If I do a search on Entropy, who normally handles them.
When sitting in line at Burger King with air on and in gear temp went up pretty fast. At home in driveway, same thing , temp started going up after little time and then in neutral the the rpm was higher and temp held at like 185 / 188 or so. With air off no problem.

·
Registered
986 Posts
As does mine. It's standard on factory ac qj's. Being as ac option was more a luxury back then, and expensive, it was more often not optioned so many replacement or junkyard qj's didn't have one. If you get a qj from a rebuilder, it doesn't come equipped, you need to supply it yourself.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As does mine. It's standard on factory ac qj's. Being as ac option was more a luxury back then, and expensive, it was more often not optioned so many replacement or junkyard qj's didn't have one. If you get a qj from a rebuilder, it doesn't come equipped, you need to supply it yourself.
The carb is an Edelbrock and with air on and in neutral rpm is higher but is lower when shifted in gear which is 2 B expected but it not a big problem now but come summer with air on at idle overheating could be a problem.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Motor vehicle Gas Toy Auto part Machine

It's technical part name is idle stop solenoid, it's intended purpose is to engage when you step on the gas, holding throttle position slightly forward of idle, so if you suddenly remove your foot, as in braking, the engine bottoms out at just above idle for a couple of seconds, then disengages to drop to idle. It's to prevent power crashing when there's suddenly very little fuel in the air/fuel mix.
Secondary purpose is to engage with AC compressor or other heavy load on low HP stock motors for idle rpm gain of 200rpm.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
So I had similar issues with my 350 in my '82 here in south FL. I went to a 160 degree thermostat and more importantly a set of Derale fans and shroud off Summit and that solved all my issues.
One thing I did note later on though was when I had the heads off the motor it appeared that the previous owner had used tap water in the motor. This allowed a good level of corrosion in the cooling passages. I went and did a bunch of coolant flushes in the motor and it definitely helped cool the motor off a bit as corrosion isn't a very good thermal conductor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That what I've been looking at in OPG catalog. The dual fan looks good to me. Don't t know what in there now, it could be original equipment single fan. If I do a search on Entropy, who normally handles them.
When sitting in line at Burger King with air on and in gear temp went up pretty fast. At home in driveway, same thing , temp started going up after little time and then in neutral the the rpm was higher and temp held at like 185 / 188 or so. With air off no problem.
I’m having the same problem. But I found out that my 69 came with a/c and with that a 18” 7 blade steel clutch fan. It had sometime been changed out to a 16” 6 blade and a different shroud that did not cover all the radiator. I went and changed to a champion 2row,(with 1”tubes) aluminum radiator and constructed a better fitting shroud. Engine runs all day at 180 but when the a/c goes on after about 15 minutes the temp climbs up to 234 in stop go traffic only. I’m gonna try a flex fan as they move more air at lower rpms than a clutch fan. If that don’t work then it’s electric fan time.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
is it the original radiator? has it ever been cleaned? did you ask the person who sold it whether they've had any coolant work done? were the engine block water jackets ever cleaned out?
inquiring minds want to know
It doesn't look like original radiator but it doesn't look like an upgrade. Probably hasn't been cleaned. The engine was replaced with a 350 crate about 8 years ago. I had some work done couple days ago that seems to made a difference..... therostate, flush, antifreeze, radiator cap but it hasn't been as hot as that one day. Not 2 concerned about the trip 2 Gainesville. All open road and with other cars and like I said it was only that one day. I have confidence in the car.
Bill
Orlando

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I had similar issues with my 350 in my '82 here in south FL. I went to a 160 degree thermostat and more importantly a set of Derale fans and shroud off Summit and that solved all my issues.
One thing I did note later on though was when I had the heads off the motor it appeared that the previous owner had used tap water in the motor. This allowed a good level of corrosion in the cooling passages. I went and did a bunch of coolant flushes in the motor and it definitely helped cool the motor off a bit as corrosion isn't a very good thermal conductor.
Hmmm I did notice the previous owner had straight water which I changed out. I have to check that
Bill

1 - 20 of 22 Posts