El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running on Empty! Don'tknow how to set up a poll so here's the question. Be honest!

Just curious how many Camino owners have run out of gas no matter why??

I have run out three times because my guage is lazy and so am I.
The first time was just after heel surgery. My girlfriend..now bride had to hoof home about 2 miles to get a can of gas. Very embarassing.

What about you ?

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
How do you think I found out that my gas tank was leaking? Wasn't too far from home though...

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
I just ran mine out of gas about 2 weeks ago! My gas gauge has a mind of its own. Most of the time it works just fine, but I write down my miles and keep track of my usage in my head, just in case! I went stupid and thought I'd driven a lot less than I actually had, and ran it out about 2 miles from home! Luckily, Jim was in the 82 right behind me and had brought a gas can with him because the gas gauge in the 82 doesn't work EVER, and we thought HE might run out of gas!! So, I got to sit and look like an idiot on the shoulder of the road while Jim went to fill up the gas can to get me going again.:texas:

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Once on the freeway about 10 years when my gauge worked not paying attention. and three times when it was working kinda sorta not. Once in the driveway and twice a block away I've been waiting a year for someone to post the perfect pump that works correct without bending the rod like in the bathroom tank that never works correct again once you touch it. Guess I'm lucky my gauge started working again about 4-months ago and when it reads 30 I stop no matter what and it's reading correctly every fill but that's not going to last.:beer:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Running on empty

Back in the late 70's I had a 66' el with a broken gas gauge. I would just fill it up every 200 miles no problem.
One day I'm driving down the highway and it sputters a dies.
I had just filled it the night before so I just knew it wasn't out of gas.
I cranked it for awhile then looked down the carb as I pushed the accelerator, no gas. Someone had siphoned out the whole tank, leaving me just enough to get 20 miles from home.
I hitch-hiked back 5 miles to a station bought a couple gallons, & drove to the station to fill it up and bought a locking gas cap. No more lost gas.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Back in the late 70's I had a 66' el with a broken gas gauge. I would just fill it up every 200 miles no problem.
One day I'm driving down the highway and it sputters a dies.
I had just filled it the night before so I just knew it wasn't out of gas.
I cranked it for awhile then looked down the carb as I pushed the accelerator, no gas. Someone had siphoned out the whole tank, leaving me just enough to get 20 miles from home.
I hitch-hiked back 5 miles to a station bought a couple gallons, & drove to the station to fill it up and bought a locking gas cap. No more lost gas.

That happened with a friends parents plane.

They went to a bigger city for shopping, topped off the fuel and went shopping. Came back, did the walk-around but didnt check fuel because they just filled up.

Someone siphoned while they were gone, ran out of fuel and crashed. No one was seriously hurt but plane was totaled.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Was tuning the carb and when I went to pull it out to put it on the trailer to go to paint it sputtered and died. Still never had the car at a gas station lol

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Lowest i have had mine was down past the E! I probably had about 1 mile left lol! It was to the stopper needle. Luckily i have a gas station fownthe hill from me so i ROLLED!

I got a friend with plenty of these stories! Get this, he had a cop give him gas to get his truck out of the middle of the street!

Before that he called me to tow him to a gas station:poke: sometimes he doesnt play with a full deck of cards!

I dont know what beats that lol!!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Just once... no wait, twice!

My gauge reads 1/4 full when it is really empty...

First time I found out right in front of a local Trasmission/Machine shop and the guy was like, "I think I can help you"... took me out to a race car trailer and opened her up and inside was a pro stock '72 El Camino! :inlove: The season had just ended and he gave me the jug of the season's last race fuel, a couple of gallons, made my Elky run better that it ever had! :nanawrench:

Next time I just plum forgot about the 1/4 tank means empty thing... I ended up in front of a tire shop this time. A guy comes over and we're messin with the carb and tryin to see if fuel is squirting out the nozzles into the bores and he's hovering like 6" over the bore with a lit cigar! I stood back on that one! Luckily, or perhaps sadly, no boom, he mighta learned a lesson with no eyebrows! lol... But the dude turned out to be driving a '32 Deuce Coupe that was in the tire shop, and he ended up being a member of the car club I was in at the time too, he carried a little metal 1 gallon can, mostly for looks, but he did keep gas in it, he let me have it! :beer:

Lucky both times! :smileyb:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mario..you should be ashamed for wasting a good beer!

·
Registered
409 Posts
My needle twitches bad

When it touches empty on the low side twitch it's time for gas

If you run out of gas on a Los angeles fwy they have a truck that will spot you some

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
i have run out 2 times,, once in the elcamino and the other in my g body wagon,,,,
neither work right so i just keep track of miles:beer:

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Once in my 68, after they painted it they hooked the gas guage up to the reverse lights so when I backed up I had a full tank!:poke:
No really they did hook it up that way and I didn't look to see what was wrong until after I ran out!!!:let_it_all_out:
Donny

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Ran out once thought I had just a little left, the guage was showing just over the e when it sputtered and died. Another time was when the fuse to the electric fuel pump went out and it sputtered and died.:???:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts