El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Got a 1985 El Camino with a 305, computer and live in CA. Just started working on this last few weeks. So far, New carburetor(found a coat hanger in the old one to hold the choke open.) New rotor, cap, coil, igintion modual, plugs, wires, both coolant sensors. Some vacuum tubing. I'm pretty handy but I'm not a mechanic. This car will be for my daughter. And a warm up for my mext project. :neutral2:

Having done all this, Betsy, as we have named her,:???: is running rough at cruising rpms and backfires sometimes, I think through the exaust, when taking foot off gas. Starts great, idles great all the time. But when rpms advanced, runs rough. I'm thinking maybe vacuum leak and am trying to check for that. What about the EFE valve and/or the EGR valve? How does Electronic Spark Advance work? Off Vacuum?
These are the questions I can figure out to ask at this point. I don't even know what I don't know.:dontknow:

My research has led me to the two emission related things. The vacuum leak is my first thought from personal experience. I won't know where to go after that. If anyone has any thoughts I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Have you changed the fuel filter? Mine ran great till I punched it getting on the freeway changed the filter I was fine. If you did change the filter did you put it back the same way as the other that will restrict the fuel if the filter is in the wrong way.:dontknow:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the fuel filter was changed with the carburetor. I think I put it in right. I could check that though. Thanks. I would not have thought of that.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I see no one has asked ,how many miles are on this engine?if it has high miles ( 90 to 100K) has the timing chain and gears been changed,i changed one out not long ago,was doing trhe same thing,the gear(upper) for the cam was so worn out the teeth where worn out and very sharp,way to much slack in the chain,pull you dist cap, rock the crank left and right and see how long it takes to move the pointer on your distributer,will be easyer if you remove a few plugs. :texas:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts