El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why not bolt an aluminum box under the front of the bed to create a rust proof smuggler's box? Or do people just coat it with bed-liner? What are the dimensions supposed to be? Anyone care to share links and images of their favorite smuggler boxes?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I use Lubri-Plate spray grease in areas that cant be touched. Once sprayed on steel it will never rust.. I sprayed the smugglers box, frame, rocker panels, under the gas tank and inside all frame areas.. It drys to a nice flat black...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I moved to Arizona, really seemed to help :). I'm seriously up in the air with what to do with my 65 too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why not bolt an aluminum box under the front of the bed to create a rust proof smuggler's box? Or do people just coat it with bed-liner? What are the dimensions supposed to be? Anyone care to share links and images of their favorite smuggler boxes?
I can't speak to earlier model elky's, I did solve my problem years ago when I first purchased my 86. It had a leak somewhere in the bed / rear window area, that was leaking into my " hidey hole".
I first made sure the rear window was resealed good so no leaks through it. I then had the bed Line X'd. This stopped all leaks into the driving compartment.
I then went to work on fixing the damage caused by the leaks over the years in the hidey hole and rear floor board.
It involved taking out the carpet and seats, sanding, patching, and repairing the floor board and hidey hole.
This was all done with Por -15 products, which I have had very good luck with over the years. I repainted the hidy hole and whole floor board with por-15, once dried, i took EPDM (thin rubber roofing for flat house roofs) and used it much like you would use dynomat, but much, much, more less expensive. Over the top of that, I installed jut insulated padding for heat and sound deadening. I have to say it has work out beautifully over the last 10 years when I originally installed it.
DSCN5547.JPG
DSCN5547.JPG DSCN5524.JPG
DSCN5510.JPG

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You’re calling the smugglers box the hidey hole? The last picture wrapped in insulation does it have a water drain?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi, Yes...., I like the term Hidey Hole, it seems to prompt discussion, wouldn't you say?

" The last picture wrapped in insulation does it have a water drain? "

Well..., it just jute insulation that I applied to the original jute that was in there. It pulled out like what you see in the photo,
I just added the extra jute with thermal backing to put back in there and knock down noise and heat from that area.
Think of it like toast going into the toaster.
What you see there is upside down..., see the trans tunnel valley in the middle?
So to answer your question, no it does not have a drain hole, because it's only jute, and the Hidey Hole is sealed from any moisture getting in. Haven't had a issue in 20 years.

DSCN5521.JPG

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,076 Posts
Here is the thread about what I did to my smugglers box, storage area, and bed liner....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi, Yes...., I like the term Hidey Hole, it seems to prompt discussion, wouldn't you say?
Jonesie, did you post a picture of the smugglers box with the lid(top) in the bed? Not really following what you posted, so no, I don’t think a “hidey hole” prompts discussion, I’m more confused at this point.

Why do you have jute in the first place?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve got a 69 and would like to add a smugglers box. Does anybody have any pictures of a finished product.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jonesie, did you post a picture of the smugglers box with the lid(top) in the bed? Not really following what you posted, so no, I don’t think a “hidey hole” prompts discussion, I’m more confused at this point.

Why do you have jute in the first place?
So your confusion may lie in the fact that up until the 4th gen, there was access to the "smugglers box" through the bed.
With the 5th gen, they did away with that access in the rear, and you could only access the "hidey hole" inside the cab behind the seat.
So no moisture from the bed would not seap in there. So it is a dry storage area. My spare, tools, Jump cables, and survival kit all fit in there.
Without the jute, it is just be a big metal box sitting over the trans.
The jute is factory, then I added more to sound & heat deaden that area, while laying down a 60 mil EPDM prior to give it a extra layer.
It has worked out better than i thought.
I recommend anyone looking to use expensive dynamat to do their floors, to look into EPDM, with some 3M adhesive.

·
Registered
319 Posts
@Jonesie I was confused too. I was first following @BAS-Sr thread and was confused about access from the bed. I then figured out Gen5s are different but glad to hear at least it won’t leak. I love AZ, but I think I’ll stay here.

And yes...hiddey hole/ smugglers box...confused me...but it did add to “conversation”. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not sold on the idea of using a lubricant as a rustproofer in large surface areas, especially where cargo is going to rub up against it. It works well for areas that are truly inaccessible any other way (I have always used linseed oil) but it gathers gunk over time and would get all over whatever you put in there with it. Sure, it feels dry at first glance, but pressure and heat will change that pretty quick. Bed liner is my go to, just make sure not to use it to cover rust spots because you can actually accelerate the rusting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts