El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1979 elky with a rusted out frame. It’s a family car And hasn’t been driven in a while, so was thinking of replacing it. I would like to keep it in the fam. Heard of a couple different routes to go. One was to reenforce it with new frame on top and another was to take it off and replace with a whole new one.
So question is has anyone done a full frame replacement? If so, what you pay? Or if you know average costs are? Just need a ball park to see if it is worth it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Replacing the frame is a pretty big job. Hardest part will be finding a replacement frame. I can't tell you what a replacement will cost but I can tell you the most experienced around here with rust will be 57Handyman. Hopefully he spots this thread and can help you with some good advice! Best of luck!

Joe

·
Registered
512 Posts
87ls5.3, thanks for the compliment but since when am I the most experienced guy regarding rust? I definitely do not consider myself experienced in the projects I take on. The other day, I began to question whether I was the dumbest guy for taking on the frame swap. I've never done this before!

Xrey05, yes, I am doing a full frame replacement. Why? Because the frame under my 87 is badly rusted from the rear of the door to the tailgate. Not only the frame, but also the body panels. I have come to the conclusion that a prior owner launched boats with this EC because rust has developed in the sealed sections between the rear of the door to the wheel well. In addition, the frame in this area is thin due to rust flaking off in slabs.

In order to deal with the poor condition of my 87 frame, I decided to purchase a badly rusted 84 EC for $500. I stripped, sold salvageable pieces (hood, fenders, radiator support, tailgate, quarter panel sheet metal, etc.), and junked the rest. Luckily, the sale of the salvaged parts covered the acquisition cost and is partially paying for the stall rent at the hobby shop. To date, the frame has been wire brushed and painted; fuel and brake lines replaced with stainless steel. The front and rear suspension will be completely rebuilt with SC&C's Pro Touring package; the rear end assembly will be upgraded to an 8.5" Grand National with 3.42 posi gears.

Let me say that this frame swap has been a huge burden on my pocket book...in both time and money!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts