El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good product to loosen rusted nuts and bolts? I've used about everything that the auto parts stores carry and none work vey well. I heard that a product called "Corrosion X" works real good but I don't where you can buy it. I aslo heard that a 50/50 mixture of acetone and Type A ATF works pretty good and I may try it. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
PB Blaster,,, I have not had a nut/bolt I could not take off with this stuff,, works well,, It has a yellow cap and a bunch of writing & examples on the spray can,,Matty man

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Nothin' like a torch. Get 'em cherry red, hit 'em with cold water and should come right off.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I'll tell you what worked for me. I couldn't get the rusted nuts off of the studs for the seat mount brackets (so I could remove the seats and be able to reinstall the seats).
I soaked the nuts/studs with PBBlaster for three days. On the forth day, I gave each nut/stud a shot of Loctite Freeze & Release (as per instructions) after wire brushing the exposed threads with a small wire brush. I was able to remove every rusted nut and not booger up any threads on the studs.

Doug

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I've had good luck with Kroil. Orange spray can.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
If you're using penetrating oils, work the nuts back and forth. Start by trying to tighten a bit and thentry to loosen. When it starts to loosen go a few threads until you feel resistance and tighten again. Then spray again to flush the threads and keep repeating until it's off.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you have the space to heat the nut/threads I've found little or nothing better than using a propane torch for a few seconds until it is hot hot hot, but not glowing or anything, then quench it with an ice cube. do this like 3, 4, 5 times and we've got some pretty messy stuff apart real smooth
Wire wheeling the threads clean is also very, very helpful.
I've never really had better luck with one penetrating oil over any other. :)

Jeri~

·
Registered
378 Posts
No need to buy any penetrating oils, All you need to do is heat the bolt / stud or nut and use a wax candle let it melt on the hot part you are trying to remove and the wax will run down in the threads and then will be very easy to remove...
Been doing that for more than 40 years and it works good for me...:nanawrench:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Heat it up with a torch and quench it with PB Blaster, will ignite and smoke alot, but it's never failed me. Ken:patriot:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Bobby 78 got it right. I have a fifty mercury and the hinges were rusted with philips screws heads, I got em red, and hit them with cold water and used a hammer screwdriver and they came right off. It works better than anything I have tried.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts