El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this is true but I heard that S-10 Chevy pickup front coils will fit a fifth gen. El Camino.
I also heard they will lower the Elky somewhat but don't know how much.

I've noticed the S-10 Extreme pickups sit lower than a normal S-10. Do they use a different spring?

Also, how do you lower the rear of a fifth gen. elky?
I'd like to lower my 82 a couple of inches both front and back. I know I could use dropped spindles in front but thought the S-10 spring route might be a little cheaper way to get the same results.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has lowered their fifth gen. Elky and how you did it. Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I lowered my '84 SS using S-10 front springs (Moog #5660), Bell Tech front spindles(#2100) and Bell Tech rear springs (#5100). My truck has the factory SS front spoiler which now is 5-1/2" from the ground. This may be too low for your tastes, so you might just want to do the spindles in the front and the springs in the rear. Or, just the springs all the way around.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
S-10 front springs fit Elkys

Thanks for the info Rick. Thats what I wanted to know.

·
Registered
284 Posts
hotchkis has a set of lowering springs that will lower your elky 1-1 1/2". all four springs for two hundred and something dollars. you can order them from jegs of summit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I may have missed somthing here, are we talking S10 4x4 or 4x2 springs and how about the rear? I would definately like to lower my '79 EC just and inch or so (plan to run 15x7 rallys w/225/60-15 BFG's and 15x8 corvette rallys w/245/60-15 BFG's) under the body. The air shocks on the rear have to go. I am really trying to "low buck" it here and have heard on this site to use S10 4x4 shocks as well. Is this info true? Do you use them on all 4 corners? Anyone tried it? :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
We are using front s10 springs off a 4x2 only, im using 2000 trans am ws6 rear springs.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
79ec,

I just lowered the rear of my 82 with springs from the salvage yard out of a 93 Camaro. You have to get the upper spring isolator plates with the springs to make them work in an Elky because they are only pigtailed on the bottom, unlike the Elky springs that are pigtailed on both ends.
I cut exactly one coil off the Camaro springs and it lowered my Elky about one to one and a half inches. Just what I wanted!
I got the springs and the isolaters for ten dollars! The springs were already out of the car laying inside it.
Now, the springs took a few days to settle down to that 1 inch drop because when I first put them in I couldn't tell any difference, but after a few days of driving around, they dropped.
The Camaro springs are the same I think from 82 to 2000 models.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts