El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyy guys, long time no talk. To make a long story short, i stubbled onto a car that i really wanted but was at ground zero for cash thus, making me sell my motorcycle (hardest thing i had to do in a long time) to afford it. After selling my motorcycle, i called the seller saying i had the cash in hand and was ready to buy ASAP!!! So the seller said "ok, cool, im busy at the moment but call me tomorrow and we can make the sale". So i say ok, thanks and hang up. I leave to go to the in-laws place for a couple hours and when i get back home, i have a message on my answering machine stating that more was found wrong with the car and it can no longer be sold. I was at shock and aw. So i called and left messages saying im still interested in it and im not asking to lower the price but no answers or returns. Im tired of being ducked so im giving up. My feelings were hurt because I SOLD MY MOTORCYCLE AND HAVE NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT!!! So im deciding to take the cash and make my el camino and my fiancee some happy girls. As far as the elky goes, it already has an edelbrock 4bbl carb the previous owner added. I plan to get:

1: edelbrock performer intake
2: rv cam and lifters (suggested by older chevy guys)
3: 305 heads to raise CR (used with a thicker gasket)
4: LT headers with 2.25" true duals
5: higher stall converter
6: 3.42 or 3.73 gears
7: ??? (Thinking about installing a tpi system but that will throw things around)

How does this sound so far? Is there a cam that has more rumble but has the idle to 5k rpm range? Im not fully educated on cams. Is it the mild cams work Better down low and the more lopey cams are for higher rpms? And i read that my 75' 350 has dished pistons, so the 305 heads wont make crazy high CR plus the thick gasket would also help level it out unless i dont really need a thicker gasket. THIS WILL NOT BE BUILT FOR 4-500HP, THIS IS JUST AN AROUND TOWN STREET BUILD. Maybe meet back up with that 5.0 foxbody mustang (5 speed with exhaust mods) and show him something this time.

I am a dedicated boneyard and craigslist shopper unless its something the cam and lifters for instance. Im gonna get that new.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i would go with vortec heads and intake, (305 heads are too restrictive to gain any benefit even with added compression) a mild cam for good lower and mid rpm torque, and for a suggestion on converter and gears kind of depend on cam selection. what trans do you have?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ment to add that. My transmission is a th350. I want something like a 2200 stall. I didnt want to go with vortecs only because the intake bolt pattern would cause me to buy a specific carb intake unless i drill the intake. Unless i run into some l98 heads, I would run the 416 high output 305 heads. Ive read that installing larger valves would help the 305s.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts