El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have discover my caballero's 383 stroker making in the neiborhood of 500 is backed by the factory Saginaw that came with the car. I have heard these transmissions tend to fail under high horse power applications but this engine and trans combo has been in the car for 20+ years. Am I just lucky? Will it need to be replaced in the near future?

·
Registered
157 Posts
My '81 had a factory Saginaw. It has 100K plus miles and still functions. There is always something stronger as far as transmissions. I usually don't put really strong/heavy duty clutches in street driven manual transmission cars. Something needs to be the weaker link, so to speak.

As far as heavier duty 4 speed's, the Borg Warner super T-10 gets good reviews. You can buy them brand new. I've noticed used Muncie's have leveled off in price but individual parts can get pricey if it's been abused.

I upgraded my Saginaw to a Borg Warner T-5. I like how smooth it shifts. I went with a hydraulic clutch as opposed to the manual linkage. It's different but super easy to drive compared to the original set-up. Plus it cruises down the interstate really nice too!

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
They put saginaws behind 409s, 375hp 327s, and were upgrades for many many years for 55-57 chevys that had been hotrodded.

:driving:

Rumor has it that the transmissions in some of those cars were abused pretty hard, but maybe that's just a rumor.

:secret:

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,736 Posts
If you've had the Saginaw behind the 383 for 20 years and it's still working, I doubt it's going to break now - unless it's just worn out. I just converted my 83 and I'm liking it a lot. I could use another gear though.:texas:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts