El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a set of Sanderson cast headers on there elky?
I like. THe look ,the shortness for Clarence and how Thay hug the block,state that Thay have great low middle and high end.have a leaking set of headers now:let_it_all_out:.
Want to change them out for something that won't leak and you can get to the plugs.I know not leaking is a big want,but these sandersons look good and you don't even need to use gasket.thay state that if you use gaskets you will get a leak ,only use permatex black high heat and that's it.
Any in put guy?

Rick. :beer:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I would say go for it...
Steel Headers on the street are over rated, noisy, Leak, and rust...

I just used a good set of cast iron manifolds and 2 1/2" stainless exhaust, sounds great! I'm done...No headaches...

Are you really going to notice the small differance in performance in a daily driver...I think not...

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Got them on my 59 Elky---454.

I did however use a gasket.

Had them coated locally about 5 years ago and they still look good.

I doubt I will ever use a tube header again.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys,I think I'm going that way new Sanderson casts and new pipe to flow masters .
:beer: :You_Rock:

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I've seen Sanderson cast headers on street rods & they look like cast aluminum . Are they aluminum or cast iron ?? Someone told me that aluminum would melt but checked my cast iron ex.manifolds with a temp laser & they only read out about 400 degrees f . I think the melting temp for aluminum is 1200 degrees f.Anyone know the facts about this ? I think cast aluminum headers in my 5th Gen would be cool .

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
They are cast iron. Under WOT and a motor that makes good power you will see 1400° EGT right at the port. Sure at idle or light throttle it will be lower,, but hit passing gear a couple of times on a hill and aluminum would be a big "Ut Oh"!!! If the timing gets retarded exhaust temps soar. I've seen header tubes glow cherry red because someone set the timing 12° retarded instead of advanced.

There is a company called 'Extrude-Hone' that will take stock Iron manifolds and 'flow-port' them to flow as well or better than any shortie header. SuperStock racers were using this to port stock heads, intakes and exhaust decades ago. (leave it to racers to find new and inventive ways to cheat)

And on headers,,,, a budget set of headers with the flimsy 1/4" steel flange is just a exhaust leak looking to happen. Any upper end header is going to have SUBSTANTIAL flanges and seal. I have ran Lemons and Hooker (weld up kits) with the 3/8" flange for years and haven't used anything but a thin smear of GE Hi-temp silicone for a gasket. No leaks, no muss no fuss.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
They are cast iron. Under WOT and a motor that makes good power you will see 1400° EGT right at the port. Sure at idle or light throttle it will be lower,, but hit passing gear a couple of times on a hill and aluminum would be a big "Ut Oh"!!! If the timing gets retarded exhaust temps soar. I've seen header tubes glow cherry red because someone set the timing 12° retarded instead of advanced.

There is a company called 'Extrude-Hone' that will take stock Iron manifolds and 'flow-port' them to flow as well or better than any shortie header. SuperStock racers were using this to port stock heads, intakes and exhaust decades ago. (leave it to racers to find new and inventive ways to cheat)

And on headers,,,, a budget set of headers with the flimsy 1/4" steel flange is just a exhaust leak looking to happen. Any upper end header is going to have SUBSTANTIAL flanges and seal. I have ran Lemons and Hooker (weld up kits) with the 3/8" flange for years and haven't used anything but a thin smear of GE Hi-temp silicone for a gasket. No leaks, no muss no fuss.
I tried taking the temp of my ex. manifold with the laser at 90 mph but I kept falling off the fender. lol Thanks Mary , I think I would go with cast iron headers instead of tubing headers, now if I could find some for my 86.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
Your welcome Christine

;)

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
QP1200 not available at this time

Just got off the phone with Sanderson, was going to order the cast QP1200 headers... not in stock and not expected - they said there had been some fitment issues-

they recommended a fairly new tubular model, CC17, said their tubing is much thicker than other brands and with the ceramic coating they don't have a tinny sound.

Anyone use their tubular headers??

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got off the phone with Sanderson, was going to order the cast QP1200 headers... not in stock and not expected - they said there had been some fitment issues-

they recommended a fairly new tubular model, CC17, said their tubing is much thicker than other brands and with the ceramic coating they don't have a tinny sound.

Anyone use their tubular headers??
John
I to back when I was looking at these Sanderson didn't have any and said the same thing about the fitment ,so I got a set of tubular shortys ceramic coated chrome and have had them on for awhile now and I am very pleased with the fit the sound and the color of the chrome.
I love mine,I would say go for it you'll like them. :beer:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The main "thing" that Sanderson had marketing-wise, was the whole "manifold style that performs like tubular headers" thing. If you are now going to be using a tubular header because they don't have the manifold style for your application anymore, don't feel like you have to stay loyal to Sanderson just because you were looking at their manifold style exhaust setups. Go with a header (of whatever brand) that you've done research on and performs well and has good flanges without issues. It's a undisputed fact, that tubular headers out-flow and out perform manifold style exhaust manifolds of even the "sanderson" make. And it's not by a trivial amount of power/torque either. It's substantial, even on a "street motor" as some call them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There tube shorties dont fit my 67. hits steering shaft and the collector flange is pointed at the firewall. Dont know what they were thinking there. junk!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts