El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOLY CRAP!!!!.. those ssr's are tight and i purposly went on my lunch to go look for them. well i went to a dealership by my job and found one in the show room. they had a 25,000 dollar mark up on the freakin thing! isn't that crazy rediculous! it was a 75,000 vehicle!! i was like WHAT?!?!?? i asked a lady in the show room if that was really the price and she laughed and said it was. she was like i KNOW it's crazy! i asked the salesmen outside and they said that only like 1200-1500 were being produced each year. so the mark up would probably stay for a while! that to me is just crazy. if im gonna spend 75,000 is certainly not gonna be on an ssr. true they are awesome and totaly sweet looking, but not for that tag IMO.

peace

nick

·
Registered
224 Posts
I saw it at the Seattle Autoshow a few weeks ago- I was not impressed. Still looks like an ugly concept car.

The markup is not unexpected... Remember when the PT Cruiser came out they were like $40k- now they are back to about $25k.

I would expect the new GTO's will have similar crazy markups on them as well.. maybe not that bad- but at least $10k or so...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gto mark up

yea, before i saw the ssr i went to see when the gto's were coming out and the price and he said it would be about 10,000 for a mark up. kinda steep, but the GTO is a great looking and exceptionally good performing car, the ssr is kinda slow IMO. i agree with you though ben i think it's still funky looking, i was walking around it and thinking to myself, how did this make it to production like this? looks real hard to drive. has HUGE fenders that would be hard to see the ends of behind the wheel, plus the front end sticks out about a million feet. i just didn't want to post that earlier cause i figured someone would go off on me for stating my opinion about it's looks since it's supposed to be chevys new el camino. anyways. im interested to see if they downsize it or redesign some of it in the next few years, right now i dont think they will sell very well, especially not for that sticker price.

peace

nick

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree with you guys... It is way overpriced, and not too visually appealing, and all though it resembles an Elky, I wouldn't by any means consider it a "Modern Day El Camino". 8)

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I don't like it...I think it's UGGGGGGLY! I may be wrong here but I'm beginning to think that the Execs at GM are on some type of mind altering drugs. First they cancel Camaros and Firebirds and now this SSR thing. Oh, and I sure hope that they don't slap some El Camino emblems on that piece of $#!+.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I like the trucks and I've been following them since 2000. Its a shame that GM wants 45,000.00 for them and then the dealership has to mark it up more is just stupid. Yes Dodge did it but now look at Dodge. They are on the verge of going down and Daimler is trying to sell that company. Their cars and trucks are a piece of $hit and have the highest return rate of any car at all.

The SSR is the first car that the general has made that shows some imagination with. I can say I liked it a whole lot better when it had the LS1. I have a 2000 SSR sitting in my garage. (Tool Box) its a diacast model of the first concept vehicle. My sister found it somewhere and gave it to me for Christmas that year.

Everyone has their own taste in cars.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't know whether or not I would get the ssr. The only way I would get one is when my debts on my cars are paid for, and I am out of college. So if the ssr is still for sale in 4 to 5 years, and is under 26,000 dollars then maybe I will get one. But if I am going to spend more then 40 grand on a car it will before a ZO6 corvette. But I must say that I am glad that chevy has again brought out a car/truck hybrid.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I like the SSR, and the concept of it. But I hate the price mark-up. It's no way worth what thier asking! If it was to get into the 11's in the 1/4, maybe the price it that high. It's got many "off-the-shelf" parts that in no way make it that special to justify the price. They'll soon cut production, sit around and wonder "Why won't it sell?" :roll:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I saw the SSR this weekend at the San Francisco Auto Show and was disappointed - it's overpriced, underpowered (even with the Vortec 5300 V8) and seems to be more "concept" than "car/truck". It did not catch my eye the way that the El Camino did (and still do...)back in 1973, when I first started driving. It reminds me more of a convertible PT Cruiser than anything else, and while I admire Chevy for attempting it, I wouldn't buy one.

The new GTO, however, was pretty impressive - especially with the 6 speed manual trans. Hats of to Pontiac for bring back a classic the right way.

·
Registered
314 Posts
ssr or z06 hmmm....

....z06 it is

used zo6 or new gto?

z06 wins again. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts