El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a neighbour and noticed scratches in my paint above the rear bumper on my 1980 Caballero Diablo which appear to be made by the rear bumper .I crawled under to find that the frame had rotted behind the wheel (typical gbody) . I knew the previous people that had rebuilt it had done a less then decent job when I spotted the hockey pucks as bushings but I never notice how bad the frame was with all the rock guard on the frame .They even went so far as to add bondo on the frame ,there was even a lack of bolts to hold the frame down . I knew the 80 needed new body bushings but after taking a good hard look at it and with all the issues and parts that need to be replaced I have made the decision to put her to rest .I have rebuilt worse el caminos but I already have a 72 and 59 that demand attention and unfortunately I do not have the time nor money to keep a 3rd project car .
I have starting parting out the 80 locally and some of the parts on the 80 will help get the 72 back on the road sooner ( hopefully have the 72 running today ) , but this weekend we will say goodbye to an old friend.

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
^^ I agree. So whatcha gonna do with the poor girl? Sell her as a project or scrap it?

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,539 Posts
Sorry to hear. Hopefully it's demise will help other Elkies in your area carry on.

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ I agree. So whatcha gonna do with the poor girl? Sell her as a project or scrap it?
I started selling the parts locally , I had 3 people wanting the elky as a whole but only offered $250 , I got more for the console and posi rear end . Some of the parts have gone to help out a few other el caminos and I am sure lots more will be used to assist more back to the road.

·
Registered
802 Posts
$250?! That IS an insult if Iv ever heard one! Especially for a classic car lol.

You could take some pics and post em on here. Im sure tons of people are interested in some pieces off of it. Better than letting it all go to scrap

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Just so I know, did you still have the springs hooked up the the henges on that hood & was it fiberglass??
Good luck on your sale and getting the other 2 going!!!!
Donny

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just so I know, did you still have the springs hooked up the the henges on that hood & was it fiberglass??
Good luck on your sale and getting the other 2 going!!!!
Donny
The springs are hooked up to the hood and the hood is fiberglass that why it has a slight warp to it , though it really isn't that hard to fix I just never got around to it .

Steelybill and theelcaminoman I definately agree that the price offered was an insult even told the one guy that , I know they would have parted it out also .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts