El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 5
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deal of the year!! 1987 Corvette, it was hit in the drivers door by a Mini Van and totalled out. The LT1 Motor and 700 r4 tranny still work great, only 47,332 miles. So can you guess where the motor and tranny are going into??

I'll be bugging the snot out of all of you for tips and parts needed to do the swap into my 85. I'll be pulling the motor and tranny out in a week or so and then cleaning everything up. I'll mark and note where everything is hook up to and then take out the wiring harness and ECM to put into my 85. I'm kinda jack up right now and really looking foward to getting started on the swap. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Greg, that is a L98 tpi motor, not a LT1. Still a worthwhile motor though, I had a similar one years ago before I swapped to current LS1.Being a gen 1 block, it'll bolt right up to your mounts, accessories will probably all work.
Most stuff you need to know is posted somewhere in the tpi /lt1/lsi section. CCC recently posted about using caprice wagon fuel tank/sender unit, I'd do it. Darbysan has a link to alot of tpi info you can find on a tpi swap post. You have various options on trans crossmember, keyser Sose posted on modifying ford ltd units.
This isn't a bad swap, especially with all the available info here. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Its been some time, but I believe the fuel sending unit that was brought over in mine was the 1996 Corvette unit... dropped right in.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
BTW... Your engine is a Gen I motor.

Gen II - LT motors (LT1, LT4, LT5, L99)
LT1 - 5.7 L - 350 cu in. - 1992 to 1996
LT4 - 5.7 L - 350 cu in. - 1996 and 1997
LT5 - 5.7 L - 349 cu in. - 1990 to 1995 ZR-1 option - aluminum DOHC

Regardless it will drop right in.

Things like new motor mounts can be bought at your local parts store.

·
Deputy Director Region 5
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
section and should get most of the information from there

Greg, that is a L98 tpi motor, not a LT1. Still a worthwhile motor though, I had a similar one years ago before I swapped to current LS1.Being a gen 1 block, it'll bolt right up to your mounts, accessories will probably all work.
Most stuff you need to know is posted somewhere in the tpi /lt1/lsi section. CCC recently posted about using caprice wagon fuel tank/sender unit, I'd do it. Darbysan has a link to alot of tpi info you can find on a tpi swap post. You have various options on trans crossmember, keyser Sose posted on modifying ford ltd units.
This isn't a bad swap, especially with all the available info here. Have fun with it.

Thanks for the info. I did read about the Caprice fuel tank swap and have ben looking for one. I'll read up on the TPI/LT and get most of the information from there.
I got the whole car for $150.00, so I feel I came out ok.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Heck of a deal you got .You could strip the car down & get ALL your swap costs back. The rear end in particular is useful especially to street rodders. I see the engine has the accel hei supercoil & red plugwires(hopefully msd) which badly need some separators.Wonder if it has any other mods to it? TPIS still has a lot of stuff for these, the throttle body airfoil is a worthwhile slip on part. I,d definitely do long tube headers.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Heck of a deal you got .You could strip the car down & get ALL your swap costs back. The rear end in particular is useful especially to street rodders. I see the engine has the accel hei supercoil & red plugwires(hopefully msd) which badly need some separators.Wonder if it has any other mods to it? TPIS still has a lot of stuff for these, the throttle body airfoil is a worthwhile slip on part. I,d definitely do long tube headers.
The airfoil is useless and the screws have been known to back them selves out and cause devastation.
The stock 48mm TB is good to 400+ hp WITHOUT the air foil. When you are ready for bigger, 52mm or 58mm, they all have the airfoil built it with no chance of a screw tapdancing on a piston.

Leave the intake alone completely and just wait to swap the entire thing for Miniram, holley stealth ram, or a FIRST TPI setup. The stock and aftermarket tpi stuff just does not work well.

I have been building my 85 L98 vette for 4+ years and found some stuff that works and a lot that doesnt.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the caprice wagon tank works great. no off reading gauge as some have encounted with replacement/modified senders holds about 25 gallons. brand new senders for the tank are readily available and cheap 136$ with the pump.when empty it reads empty and when full it reads full. i have almost 2000 miles on it since the swap with zero problems. you will love the tpi swap compared to the carb engine. i would run 323 gears with your new drive train it will make an amazing ride and be really good on fuel:beer:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
look on carparts.com thats where i found my tank. 91 to 96 caprice,olds custom cruiser/buick roadmaster wagon. it has to be the wagon the sedans have the fill in the back. if you cant find one let me know

·
Deputy Director Region 5
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the caprice wagon tank works great. no off reading gauge as some have encounted with replacement/modified senders holds about 25 gallons. brand new senders for the tank are readily available and cheap 136$ with the pump.when empty it reads empty and when full it reads full. i have almost 2000 miles on it since the swap with zero problems. you will love the tpi swap compared to the carb engine. i would run 323 gears with your new drive train it will make an amazing ride and be really good on fuel:beer:[/QUOT
Thanks for the information, I found a 96 Caprice wagon locally, sounds like a great set up for the tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts