El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a BW T5 yesterday Tag 13-52-028, with the bell housing and clutch arm. $200.

It does not have the Torx head bolt on the side and I have not yet looked for the Timco bearing on the front. The tag indicates an 83 out of a mustang 5.0 or a Camaro or Firebird V8.

I assume it is not a WC tranny

I have a 75 with a mild 350. Do you feel it will work well for a DD or should I get it rebuilt as a WC?

Thanks

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry if I was obtuse, I assumed (yup, there is the problem! ) that the T5 was pretty well known about.

In the early 80's Borg Warner was making the T5 trannys. In 82, they decided they wanted a broader, world wide market for them, and created a new T5. It is called the WC T5. Stands for "world class" but has more to do with market than quality.

It WAS however a step up with better bearings and such.

I guess my question is: Since the NWC (non world class) T5 is rated at 265 ft #s torque, rather than the 300 of the WC, will it still be OK behind a mild 350?

The tranny is fine as is, and came from a powerful V8, but there are rebuild/upgrade kits to turn it into a WC tranny. This could cost many hundreds of dollars though.

Recommendations???

Thanks!

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was moving ahead with purchasing a clutch set up from one of the guys on here. My plans were a muncie but the 5th gear really is a great idea with the price of gas.

Do you think the original clutch pedal / z bar system will work or will I need an hydraulic system? (4th generation)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.