El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(

I'm depressed. Pulling up to the garage tonight which I've done hundreds of times I cut it to close to an iron post at the entrance and f'd up the right rear quarter above the wheel. The molding is f'd up to. :oops:

After being po'd and kicking a hole in the garage wall and feeling like a complete idiot, now I'm depressed.

I guess I'll take it in to a local body shop for an estimate. This type of repair work is beyond me unfortunately. So now I'm looking at a new molding and who knows what else (rear quarter panel) as well as a partial repaint.

Anyone else out there have any words of encouragement because I feel terrible and angry and disgusted. Got any similar stories?
:cry:

·
Registered
83 Posts
No, sorry I don't have any words of encouragement. Accidents happen. I fear the same thing when I pull my wifes car in and out of the garage. It is a tight squeeze. When I pull my elCamino out of the garage I need to turn the wheel sharply to the left, or rip the whole side off.
By the way, how is your foot? I'm sure that damndable wall had it coming. I hate it how they mock, and taunt a person after an accident. I'm sure you'll get your Elky fixed up better than new.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the kind words.

My foot is fine. I fought the wall and the FOOT won! I fixed the hole last night. (Well let's say patched the hole) I'm still angry as all h#$%! :x

If fixing the El Camino was that simple.

·
Banned
881 Posts
Spirit of 76 said:
Got any similar stories?
Sorry about your bad luck.

:( I know how you feel. I did something similar to my 80 El Camino when I was parking on a slight downhill. When I shut the car off I thought I had put the T5 tranny in reverse. I let out the clutch, took my foot off the brake and got out of the car. As I got out the door it started to roll downhill. It was headed towards a big chain link fence 30 feet away. I ran next to it trying to jump in and stop it. I didn't. It hit the fence with the RS fender damaging the fender and the wheel well trim.

Looking back, I guess it must have appeared comical to anyone who was watching me chase the Elky. :oops:

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the story. Misery loves company or so they say. Did you have it repaired at the time and if you did how much did it set you back?

I think I'm in the acceptance stage now. Although I took it out to the gas station and I feel funny driving it around when it's "wounded".

Anyone else with this weird affliction?
:(

·
Registered
39 Posts
:oops: I thought I was the only one with a story like these. A couple of years ago I went to back my Elky into the garage. Pulled in and thought I put it in park to open the garage door. No more than I had stepped out of it off it went rolling, Of Course the logical thing to do is try and catch it and I was not able to do so It took off like a bat out of H*ll Turned and went NOSE FIRST in to a creek bed and of course it was the rockiest part of the creek and it had about a 3 to 3 1/2 foot drop off. You want to talk about someone being sick I had just received it back from having a custom color paint job on it. $2500.00 Paint job. Needless to say luckily I can do body work and paint myself so I was able to repair it (NO Bent Frame) And I painted the entire car black. Easier to match back color as to a Deep forest green with metalic flakes So that is just one of my stories thought i would share with you guys. Great Site

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Man that Sukkx!

Just after I had gotten my 76 Elky painted it was in the garage where I was absoultly sure it was protected against the weather and elements. I walked out one morning to go to work and walking through the garage I noticed a draft. I looked over and saw that diring the night, a chunk of the celing had broke loose and fell directly onto the hood! There was a box of parts there also.

Aparently I had put this box of parts inbetween some og the studs just sitting on sheet rock only. Over time it let go. Big scratch in the paint, small dent in the hood where the box landed.

If your Elky had fender flair trim, that will be difficult to locate if it was factory trim (the thin stuff). Chrome and other trim parts, especially for the "Classic" models with all the trim, is rare and generally all used if you find any at all. Did I make your day?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Man sorry to hear about your El Cam. I thought I was the only goober myself ( no offense). I have a similar story, actually two. The first is on New Year's eve I was coming home and was lighting a cigarette and it happened to fall in my lap. I picked it back up and everything was fine. Well, I didn't learn my lesson so I decided to light up another cigarette with my old one and this time the cherry fell off. I was trying to pick up the cherry and before I know it I mow down a Neighborhood Crime Watch sign and rip out a fire hydrant at about 20 mph. Yeah talk about scared off my ass. The last thing I remeber seeing (and I only thought this happened in the movies) was my beauty ring spinning to a stop right next to me. The aftermath, a bent frame, bent bumper (now replaced) bent up fender, and a elcamino that pretty much scrapes the door handle every time I take a left turn. I am looking for another 5th gen right now so I can just swap motors and part out the other one. Then I have a garage story, similar to yours except I scaraped and bent the molding on the rear quarter panel on the fender well. I feel so bad for my car because she deserves so much better. Oh well, all i can say now is that I am more careful and since then a non-smoker.
good luck on the repairs.
-Yoshi

·
Registered
105 Posts
Definitely not the best way to end the day. At least you had the presence of mind to kick the garage wall and not the iron post (not sure which one I'd have gone for...)

EC Parts has the right (your title says left, the post itself says right) rear wheelwell trim (SS-style, trim-to-fit if you have the lower stoneguards - don't know what you need), stock number 3N 1003 R listed as available for $68.95 if that helps. Price stinks, but it's available. (Cut-to-fit isn't as bad as it sounds - Mine has hand-trimmed SS pieces on the front and from more than about 6 inches out you really can't tell.)

My worst trim experience was sideswiping into a telephone pole while turning out of an alley. Dished in the side several inches deep between the rear of the door and the rear wheel and wrecked the hens-tooth-rare side moldings. Insult to injury, the city even tried to make me pay to repair the pole (gouged it pretty good and broke the ground wire).

My worst idiot moment was right out of a B comedy. Overshot gas pump. Opened door, looked back, into reverse. Noticed door was out past Heavy Steel Post protecting pump. Went for brake, got gas. :oops:
Darn near lost an arm (missed by less than 2 inches) and made origami out of the door and rear of the front fender. Luckily the screws were out of the trim so it popped off as the door bent. With much effort managed to get the door back sort of closed, filled the gaps with tape and plastic, and had to drive her that way for over a month until I could get a suitable replacement door (then drove mismatched another two months before I could get her into a paint shop). Now THAT was embarassing!!!

Fortunately I am a much better driver now than I was then... Now my main problem is my long-running dispute with the Highway Patrol over what those funny white speed suggestion signs really mean :wink:

·
Banned
881 Posts
Spirit of 76 said:
Did you have it repaired at the time and if you did how much did it set you back?
The next day I made an appointment at a local body shop to have it fixed. Then I went to the GM dealer to order the new wheel well trim. After it was fixed (the first time) I refused to pay for the work because the paint job was awful. The second time it was done (different shop) I paid $150.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again thanks all for the encouragement. We could start a club within a club for the Elky Owners Collision Club. Problem is noone would want to join. :)

Gozer

Thanks for the info. I have seen the trim at EC Parts. If I can't get it there I'll have to give ebay a shot. By the way it is the left rear(driver side). I was just too flustered forgive me.

I'll be taking it in soon for an estimate and go from there. Sure do wish I had the tools time and expertise to do it myself.

Thanks again fellas. I'm starting to feel a little better. A lot after I get it fixed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Check your personal messages I sent you one on the wheel well chrome i have a brand new right side passenger. I just read the post you left and stated that it is the left side. I will check tomorrow and see if the one I have is a new or used one.

·
Registered
105 Posts
EC Parts claims (at least on their website) that all they have is the right side...

BUT...

The El Camino Store (http://www.elcaminostore.com) claims to have the left side available NOS. Stock number 05-2160, $65.95. Their website doesn't specify whether it's the full-length or the shorter version. If you have the stoneguards you don't need to care, but if you don't you would need to call and find out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Homerj

Thanks for the thought. Too bad I'd gladly deal with someone here on the board.

Gozer

I'll probably be looking into the elcaminoparts site as it is the left/driver side rear and I do have the stoneguard trim.

:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts