El Camino Central Forum banner

Screws in Dash-pad Near Windshield?

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  zero 
#1 ·
I have been trying to figure out how to get the dash-pad off of my 72 and I am now convinced that the guy before me did something annoying :angry:.
I took out the 6 screws that all the manuals/post say to remove and then discovered that there are two more right next to the windshield glass.
The only way I can see to get them out is to remove the front glass? My guess is the last guy that worked on it shot some extra e screws in to help hold the dash pad down?

Anyone experienced anything like this before?

#2 ·
No, my 71 only had the 6 screws across the front and the clips in the back next to the windshield.:dontknow: Does it look like the PO screwed through the pad? The only screws I see under the windshield are the ones that hold the defrost vents.

#6 ·
Can you fit something like this in there to remove them? Handy tools for that sort of thing.Ratcheting screwdrivers,offset low profile.These are from Jensen Tools (electronics tool supplier) pn 185B035 + 185B033.I'm sure you can find something similar elsewhere.It's worth a try.....

#8 ·
From what I can tell there is actually no place for the screws to go if I could get them to come out. I took two picture of the passenger side. The one through the glass you can see I have my phone right up against the glass and the head of the screws is no even visible just the hole.

#9 ·
Looks like if you have a Dremel with a right angle attachment and cut off wheel you should be able to cut the threaded end of the screw away from the tab and pry the pad away with the head still in the pad. :dontknow:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.