El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I've posted! Been really busy but I finally got to work on my floor pans. I originally planned to weld in the entire smugglers box in one piece using the rear seat area from my 77 malibu parts car. Just couldn't get it to fit so I cut it in half and put the driver's side in first. Real pain but went pretty well. Would have been easier if I could weld worth a damn!
I got the smugglers box drivers side in and then the drivers side rear floor pan I bought from Dixie Monte Carlo.
Added some photos to my photobucket page if you're interested. Don't flame the rookie welding job!!
My question is should I brush some kind of por 15 or maybe seam sealer into the welds? I've ground them down so there's only small crevices around the perimeter but it seems wise to fill in these little holes with something that will keep moisture out and help prevent rust.
I've googled a lot of different opinions on this and wanted yours.
Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I’d recommend covering them w/ fiberglass. If you get a good cover it will help keep moisture out. I use fiberglass on body panel welds so think it would be a good idea in the smugglers box area.

If you really want to get hard core, brush the Por 15 on them and then add fiberglass.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Take a piece of metal the same thickness as the floorpan and practice with a mig welder until you get the heat and wire feed correct and then put a light on the opposite side of the panel from you so you can see the missed spots and stitch them in.You may have to grind down what you have already welded in order to see the holes or to be able to direct the weld where you want it to go,keep in mind that with welding cleanliness is paramount for a good job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts