El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good seam sealer to use when you are putting in new floor pans. I have to put them in my el camino at some point and I am helping my brother in law with his mustang restoration. I did not know if it is something I can pick up at any auto parts store or should I order it online?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
3m makes a heavy drip check seam sealer that is what the factory uses to seal them up. any paint and body supply should have it or napa usually has it.you can order it from eastwood co. as well

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
3M heavy drip check is for the seams on upper rear body panels between the rear 1/4 and body panel seam. It comes in a blue tube like weatherstrip adhesive. It's also nice for a quick skim over the seams in the trunk gussets.
It's not made for large areas such as wheel wells, floors, trunk pan seams, etc. If you're looking to be able to prime and paint within a 1/2 hour 3m Fast'N Firm is great sealer the skins over quickly and doesn't shrink if not piled on heavily. Only thing is it's not recommended for interior use because it has a very strong vapor that lasts for days, maybe even weeks. Talk to your jobber. A good brush on seam sealer will work fine for what you need and it's a bit easier to control a brush than a caulking gun. Also with the brush on you don't have to worry about tearing open a finger on a sharp edge when you try to smooth out the sealer.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
I got mine in a tube to use with caulking gun type applicator. got it from my body parts/sheetmetal supplier here. They also carry every fastener and clip known to mankind, sell them each or by the box.

:nanawrench:

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I got mine in a tube to use with caulking gun type applicator. got it from my body parts/sheetmetal supplier here. They also carry every fastener and clip known to mankind, sell them each or by the box.

:nanawrench:
Haven't I been sayin' that for like ever. And cheaper than the elky suppliers that sell you 10 clips for the price of a 100!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since this is a long project the smell can air out for probably a month before I have to paint it or put insulator carpet ect. I assume that is plenty of time and the smell wont sink in too bad. 3m fast n' firm should be ok does that sound like a good option?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts