El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some cheap seat belts at the auto supply house just to have something for now, but when I went to bolt in the driver side outer mount, the hole was there, but no threaded insert! I can see thru it down to the driveway, but my hand is too big to hold a washer and nut up there so I can install the bolt from the top side. It didn't have any seat belts in it when I picked it up.

Any ideas on what to do? Do I have to unbolt the body mounts on one side to lift the cab off the frame? Is there another threaded insert I can buy to fit back in that hole?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Mine didn't have a threaded insert. It seems it was a large nearly 2" washer (I expect it designed to spread the load out so the bolt doesn't pull through in a crash). I'd have to go through my bag of parts to find them.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
My 64 has no belts or mounts. I want to add some. I will probably drill holes and mount them with grade 8 hardware and reinforcement plates underneath.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Here is a trick !!

I bought some cheap seat belts at the auto supply house just to have something for now, but when I went to bolt in the driver side outer mount, the hole was there, but no threaded insert! I can see thru it down to the driveway, but my hand is too big to hold a washer and nut up there so I can install the bolt from the top side. It didn't have any seat belts in it when I picked it up.

Any ideas on what to do? Do I have to unbolt the body mounts on one side to lift the cab off the frame? Is there another threaded insert I can buy to fit back in that hole?
Go buy,or borrow a extension magnet,some parts houses have them, i know sears does,when i have a tight place like that to work in (like installing motor mount bolts) i put the washer/bolt on the end and that holds it until i can get it started ,works for me !!! You can do it , There thats the tip for the day :nanawrench:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Roy, I'll give it a try. Lockjaw and Axeman, I guess the '65 was the first year the belts were standard. Those threaded inserts do make it nice, but a drag when ones missing and its between the frame and body with barely a quarter inch to work with!

I guess I could use plates under the floorpan behind the outer seat track rear bolt and mount them there. Is that were you guys plan to mount them? I could move the passenger side one down there so at least they look evenly matched. I have those biog washers that came with the seat belts to use. I'm hoping one day to figure out a shoulder point seat belt mounting set-up and then get some real nice belts, but for now, I just want something for my son's safety and to keep the cops from ticketing me!

·
Registered
189 Posts
In Oklahoma, if the car was originally NOT equipped with seat belts, you are not required to put the in. Therefore, they may harrass you, but not ticket you. My 66 pickup did not have seat belts. A military policeman pulled my over for not having backup lights when I was leaving a soccer game of a military base. He then started to write me tickets for no back up lights and not wearing a seatbelt. I asked what year he was born and he said 1975. I then told him the truck did not come with seat belts or back up lights. He responded that he had never heard of such a thing. He called his supervisor and was told to leave me alone and not write the tickets. He drove away shaking his head!!!! Gotta love the classics!
suks2bu37:nanawrench:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Amen to that some of the kids we have around today about the same as with the parts store

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Always look for the old guy behind the counter when you need parts for a classic.

Experience and wisdom trumps youth and training everytime.

·
Registered
20 Posts
had the same problem on a chevelle i bought. i welded the hole up and then redrilled and re-tapped the hole.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts