El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to install some three point belts into my 1967, and I'm a bit confused as to my options. It's a 1967 with a "70s bench seat" according to the original seller. I took some photos tonight of how the lap belts are mounted now.

Both ends are mounted at the transmission tunnel here.
The left side goes under the seat, then up and across.

As far as mounting points, I think I have one on the trans tunnel and these two bolts on the back left of the seat bottom. I don't know if those are legitimate or safe mounting points to use. The previous owner carpeted the rest, so I can't see any other mounting points (if they are there). I didn't take a picture of it, but there is a mounting point on the b-pillar for the shoulder part.

I've looked around on the internet as well as this site, and I don't know what the right belt is for me. I've seen everything from $320 belts to $60 belts. I'm looking for something that is safe and looks good. I'm planning a black interior, so my guess is that almost any product will do as it will color match.

Thanks for the help! Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
That is soo very wrong.
Both of those belts are routed thru the seat.
The same for the passenger side

That particular anchor is used for the inboard belt for the outboard passengers and the belts for the center passenger.

Remove your door sill plate, and lift up the carpet just behind your seam.
Kind of even with the rear seat bolts, but moving out to the edge of the carpet, just inside the door opening is the anchor point for the seat belts in your car.

If your car came with a bench seat---it also came with 3 sets of seatbelts.

I'm at work and cannot get to my photobucket----might be able to post pics later

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I removed the door sill plate and pulled back the carpet, and there is this hole right here, . Is that the anchor point you were referring to? I also took a photo of the b-pillar holes which should be the shoulder mount point. Do I have it right?

If those are my three mounting points, does anyone have any recommendations on products? I still don't have a very clear idea about what I need, again because of the wide variety of stuff that is out there. Is there a difference between the more expensive belts from Morris Classic or OPGI and the cheaper stuff from Seat Belts Plus or Autoloc?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I believe Morris Classic has belts specifically for the early elkies.

Oh---yes that is the original anchor point for the lap belts------but, it appears that there has been an issue of some sort there at one time.
Might have to get a plate welded in there to anchor to------there shoud be a nut welded to a large cupped washer that is welded to the floorpan at that spot. Kind of difficult to make that repair from the bottom on an Elky or convert as the frame is boxed and that area is hidden from view.

The holes in the B-pillar are in fact anchor points for a three point system (all passenger cars were mandated to have belts by 68 and GM started putting in 3point anchors Jan 66)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couldn't I just put mounting plate like this under the metal and bolt into that? That should spread the load out more than a standard washer. The rust is only on the surface and the metal appears to still be strong.

I've been in touch with the people at Morris Classic, and they do have belts specifically for the early elkies. However, they are twice the price of some more plain belts from Seat Belt Plus or Autoloc. From everything I can tell, the only difference is cosmetic and that they have specific kits per model year.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Like you said, the only difference between the Morris Classic belts and some of the others is cosmetic. As far as safety goes, the belts should be of the same quality.

You might check out Julianos(www.julianos.com) too...they have 3-point retractable harnesses in lift latch style, early GM style and generic aftermarket style. Each harness comes with an installation kit that includes the anchor plates and all of the hardware needed. They also have a "how to" section on their website that shows picture tutorials of them installing their harnesses in several different cars and trucks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Low75 - those Juliano's how-tos are great. I think I have a good understanding of what I need to do in order to safely install some belts. Thanks for the tip.

Bryan - thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jim - I purchased some belts for Juliano's last week. They should be here Thursday, so I hopefully will be able to get them in this weekend. I'll update the thread with pics when they are in.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a tip about ordering from Juliano's - you need to call them and ask for a direct fit kit for the b-pillar. I got my belts yesterday, and the bracket they send for the b-pillar does not fit the stock mounting point. They sell a bracket that does fit, but for some crazy reason it is only in their print catalog (and without a part number), not on their internet site.

The kit ships with pretty stout mounting plates for the floor points, so I don't think I need to worry my stock mounting point on the floor being damaged. Assuming I get the b-pillar mounts in time, I will install it all this weekend and take some pictures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.