El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took out my bench and decided to replace it with a set of buckets from a 300zx...since the car was originally bench there are only two studs on each side. Does anyone have an idea about how I should approach installing these new seats in a nice and clean fashion.

Thanks

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
You could get the inner set of mounts from a bucket or split bench Monte Carlo, Regal, Malibu or El Camino. I got a set from a Monte for the 98 T/A seats installed in mine. Put them on the seats and had them welded in the correct location.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have seat tracks from a 86' grand prix...but the only problem is that the driver side 300zx seat is power...so I'm working on finding another passenger seat since I dont really think I need power and the added weight.

Also, since I only have two studs on each side should I weld two more in on each side or drill holes through the floor and bolt the seats in?

Thanks

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
The inner set of mounts will have the studs on them.

You might want to rethink and use the power seat. You could use it to give you the height to drive. I'm not sure how low/high the seats are that you are using in comparision to the ones that came in El Caminos.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just my $0.02 i'd keep the power seat and maybe find a passenger one from a 300z, Also, I have just bolted down seats for an interior swap in my s-10 and put mr2 seats in. I just went to lowes and got some grade 8 hardware and drilled some holes and was done with it, works fine (for me). In the end its your decision to make, so make what you will.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys,

I just wanted to weld some studs in to look clean but I think I'm going to end up just drilling some holes and bolting them in, its easier and no one but me will know the diff unless they look under the car.

Ive looked around for another passenger but no luck, so I'll probrably go with the power seat. I got an awesome deal on the seats anyways, these import guys like to get rid of awesome seats and buy momo racing seats for 800$ each...so I'm always keeping my eyes pealed.

·
1,867 Posts
I think that Z cars have some great seats.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your right they are, they have nice bolsters and are pretty compact...they look really good in my car...even though they arent fixed yet, but its a big change from the bench.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Dont mean to throw you off malice, but i also have pulled the bench seat out of my elky and im confused about wat yall are talking about the brackets and welding and stuff...Since i took out my bench what will i have to do to put the seats in? should i get the brackets that are on the seats i get and just grind off the old mounts and then weld the other mounts on?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I took out my bench the was only 3 mounting studs on each side of the tunnel close to the door...so I dont have any mounting points close to the tunnel.
And since I'm using a nissan bucket, the tracks on them are totally different then a GM's track.
So without removing the original mounting points i was wondering how i should go by adding more, and install these seats in a nice clean fashion.

I had a '81 parts el camino with original buckets and it had four mounting points for buckets...so i took measurements and cut them out and I have an idea of using those but was just wandering if anyone else has done a swap with import seats.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
79Suzy...when you unbolted the seat and removed it, the sliding seat tracks are what you unbolted and removed with the seat. The seat brackets (2) on each side if you had a solid bench seat, (4) if you had a split bench seat or buckets are spot welded to the floor. If a split bench seat was in your Elky you will have eight seat brackets, 2 on each side (4 total) of the trans tunnel. You will also have the 4 total (outside brackets) no matter what type seat was in your Elky. If you have the inner seat brackets, bucket seats out of any GM 78-87 G body vehicle are a bolt in swap. If you had a solid bench seat, you will need to add/fabricate the inner seat brackets. Drilling holes through the floor, is not rcommended, to install any seats in any car. Fabricating brackets and having them welded in is the correct way. If your seats are bolted in through the floor, and you were in a violent accident, the bolt could shear or be pulled through the floor and you could be ejected from the vehicle (I know, that only happens to others). Do it the right way people...the safe way, and weld the brackets in! As far as picking a set of buckets, If a seat can physically fit in the confined space of your Elky, it can be installed in your Elky, you just need to design and fabricate brackets of the right dimensions to make them fit. Don't get me wrong, it's not as easy as it sounds, but it's not an impossible feat either. If you don't have the knowledge, expertise or right tools, any good welding shop could do this job for you. Keep in mind the carpeting will need to be removed to do this, might be a good time to install new carpeting to go with those new seats also.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ok guys what all kinds of seats will work pretty much any car seat or what?Like could i use FireBird seats or S-10 seats. Give me some ideas and where i can look to get some kinda cheap ones. Im gonna look at the junk yard at some wrecked FireBirds and stuff this weekend.

·
1,867 Posts
Any Gm intermeditate car will work like Gran Prixs & such. I use Z24 Cav. seats. Their are alot of donor cars out there.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
I have a set of 98 Trans Am seats in my El. With a little fabrication any seat can be made to fit.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I got some seats out of a '92 Trans Am driver side power. I used some grade 8 bolts and a flat piece of 3/16 x 2 steel and cut two pices about 3 inches long (one for each side) boy do they look good. they are Grey in my blue interior.

·
0 Posts
2003 Grand Am seats into a 72 Elky?

Any body know if this will work? I have a split bench, and was wondering how much mod work it will take to make them fit?

thanks

Larry

·
Registered
794 Posts
While we're on the bucket seat thread, anyone have a recommendation for a nice set of Leather Buckets plus Console that will fit in a 74 Elky?
I'm looking at about 50"- 52" (?) of space to make this work. I want to go with both power buckets, but I'm not sure of what will squeeze in there.
I was looking at a pair from an Avalanche, nice, but I don't believe they'll fit.
Anyone done this or know of someone who may have installed a set?
Thanx,
Lee

1 - 19 of 19 Posts