El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my first el camino (1986 so they said...it says 1987 in the door) which is in the process of getting 'inspection ready', but i cannot get the driver side seat to slide back and forth for the life of me. I tried pushing the latches on the tracks with my hands but still nothing. Should I go to the junk yard and get new tracks or something? Or is my seat repairable....by the way I don't know much about fixing cars the simpler the terms the better, haha. Oh, split bench seats by the way... I believe 60/40. thanks

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I would first remove your seat, (eaiser to work on), turn it upside down, clean and lube the tracks, WD-40 will work OK. Lube all pivot points, slides, tracks, latches ect. That may be all it needs. With a good visual inspection you may be able to see what the issue is if the cleaning doesn't correct the issue. Then if that doesn't work, a trip to your local Bone Yard may be in order. But at least if it does correct it, you didn't spend $$$ for something a little lube & time took care of. Good luck.
By the way, let me WELCOME YOU to E.C.C. Great to have you aboard, and visit often. Ask any questions you may have. Allot of good folks here with a vast wealth of knowledge willing to share.

·
Registered
59 Posts
To remove the seats and track it is easy only 8 screws per seat 4 on the floor 4 to remove the tracks, i had to replace mine due to a broken bracket.

I got my mounts out of a old monte carlo, cost less than $20 to replace,

hope this helps,
Guzey

·
Registered
69 Posts
The other thing that might be going on is there is a wire/cable that connects the left slide/runner with the right slide/runner. If thats broken or missing that could be the problem. Hard to explain, but as said, remove the seat and it will all become clear. I was just at the pick-apart this weekend for the same reason. I have a larger problem...My seats are electric and don't move, so it's going to be a ton of fun just to get the seats out. You might run into the same problem as you have to be able to move the seats all the way forward and backward to get to the bolts easily.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool I appreciate all the quick replies. I'll have to take the seat out my next day off...hopefully the lube job will take care of it, and if not there's a yard not far from me that has 3 monte carlos (late 80's it looks like) that hopefully will fit. I'll keep updated if I figure anything out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well one of the main problems was rust. The bolts and the parf of the seat they go into were terribly rusted and Iruined some sockets. After my 3rd trip to sears I was finally on the last bolt but it was so rusted and deformed I just kept stripping the **** out of it. Finally I lost my temper and yanked on the seat really hard over and over......long story short it has a drivers side bucket seat from a monte in it now, which is kind of a plus cos theres an extra ash tray and now i can adjust the back of my seat. :beer:

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
That's why my Tool Box ↓

Has that all important Tool ↓

:nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts