El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,I need to find a secondary vin for my 67 Eco I moved to as now I'm back in California and DMV said they need to find a secondary vin any one know? Thanks

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
David, I can't promise this will be helpful re your 67...but my 64's have a full vin and data plate on the firewall and a metal strip with just the VIN on the driver's door frame (leading). It is approx 11/4" X 21/4".
James

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The cowl tag will not have a vin on it

However the tag will have the body style and plant of origin on it

the second number that might be readable will be located on top
of the frame rail behind the rear wheel on the left side of the car.

Mine is located just above where the frame manufacturer and date is,
just forward of the rear corner.

You may need some sandpaper and a mirror to see it, and it will only be a partial VIN.
and will look like this

7 Z 100001
Year of manufacture-------plant of origin-------sequence #

The 13x80 portion will not be stamped on the frame

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
x2 on the driver side rear frame rail, stamped on the top of the frame rail..:texas:

also the body may be stamped around the cowl below the windshield or
around where the heater box mounts to the firewall,, at least early camero's are..

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 67's vin is on the driver side door. then the plate on the fire wall has some codes and build sequence..:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
As for showing a secondary VIN to the Gestapo DMV, you could try this.

There is a web site that shows VIN and dates available
If your VIN is unaltered and your cowl tag is unaltered, you can have a look
and see if your body # and VIN coincide with the manufacture date.

Or---you can PM me ---send me a pic of your cowl tag (must be clear and readable) and your VIN,
and I can let you know if they match up----build date wise.

·
Registered
53 Posts
DMV personnel generally aren't that up on where VIN derivatives are located, it's not their job. Your Highway Patrol should be able to help or they'll send you to someone they use.

As for the location here's where the folks are talking about on the frame:
http://chevellestuff.net/qd/frames.htm

You can also check production numbers by plant and by month here:
http://chevellestuff.net/1967/plant_prod_no.htm

The plant production numbers are NOT 100% accurate but they are figures released from GM. Trying to determine a physical date by the week letter on a trim tag is pretty much a crap shoot (lots of reasons but too much to get into here) but it should get you close. To see why, see my page at http://chevellestuff.net/tech/trim_tag_facts.htm for more details.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Thanks, guys. I learned something new here. I am going to check out my 64 to see if it is stamped also.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks, guys. I learned something new here. I am going to check out my 64 to see if it is stamped also.
64s and 65s have also been found in location #1

For 67 El Caminos, a VIN derivative has been found on the cowl screen and behind the heater box only on Atlanta cars, none have been reported from other plants yet.

the plate on the fire wall has some codes and build sequence
The Fisher Body unit number doesn not correspond to the car's VIN sequence number. The Fisher Body unit number generally tended to be fairly sequential based on the particular style number. For example a 13480 and 13680 car built the same time would have vastly different body numbers simply because more 13680 cars were built than 13480 cars to that point.
Example...
11A - KC 13480 w/body number 1005
11B - KC 13480 w/body number 1147
...compared to...
11A - KC 13680 w/body number 2760
11B - KC 13680 w/body number 3014

1 - 10 of 10 Posts