El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to replace the lower part of the dash in my '80 EC. The previous owner made a mess patching cracks around the radio

Is the lower dash one piece or two piece?

Where can I find this part?

Bear with me y'all....this is all very new to me...the learning curve is kinda steep. But I keep doing something nice for my Elky every week. This week it was new shocks and a new distributor.

·
Registered
481 Posts

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
The piece around the radio is called the radio bezel if that's the piece you need...it is held on by 4 screws. If your talking about the padded section of the dash around the radio bezel, no the dash is all one section, and I have not seen anything made to just cover that section of the dash. Your alternatives are to 1. Live with it ($.00). 2. Install a fullface dashcap ($70-$100). 3 Install a new or good used dash ($250-$799). If it is just the bezel, then your talking anywhere from $10-$60 approx depending on who you buy it from, new or used condition, and style (color). The SS black and maroon color being the most money if new. If your handy, they can be sprayed to match your color interior (hint: buy one off Ebay in fair "no cracks or burn marks" condition ($10-$15) and repaint it to match your interior. Do not overtighten the screws for the radio bezel when you re-install it. This area of the dash is very weak...the padded dash is just a foam substance and is easily cracked or torn by overtightening the screws that hold the radio bezel, and also the radio itself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dash question

I'm looking at the dash in my Elky and it looks to me like the upper section has been replaced. (By "upper section" I mean the part that is next to the windshield. ) I say it appears to be a replacement because it is a slightly different color and appears to be newer plastic.

The lower section surrounds the radio and glove box. I am not needing a radio bezel.

The lower part is what I'd like to replace.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
The upper and lower sections that you are talking about is one piece. You have the choice of replace the whole thing or getting a "dash cap". This is a plastic piece that covers the whole dash. I have no experience with the caps but some here I'm sure has. I wonder if your Elky may have a cap that just cover the upper portion and that's why that part looks newer?

Here is a picture from ebay that shows the dash out of a car. Ebay dash Does this show both the upper and lower portions that you are talking about?

Here is the dash cap I was talking about. Ebay dash cap

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
The Ebay pic in Poltergeists' post shows a full face dash cap (actually two) if you look at the second photo, you'll see that there are two styles. One style is for a dash bezel and the other style is one for just the AC/heating duct openings. Some early Elkys did not have a dash bezel...Elkys that do have the dash bezel came with a few different styles. Some are black/maroon which is the SS version, some are imitation wood grain, and some are molded in colors to match the interior. If your Elky does not have a dash bezel, you would want the one with just the two duct openings. From what you describe, it sounds like the previous owner installed a half face dash cap...this would explain the the difference in color, and the newer plastic look on the upper part of the dash. The full face dash cap has not been available until fairly recently, this would explain why the previous owner did not put a full face cap on to cover the lower section of your dash which is cracked also...he went with what was probably available and at the cheapest price at the time he did it. You can more than likely get a full face cap and place it over the half face to cover the entire dash, but if you choose this route, try fitting it over the half face to make sure it fits snuggly over the entire dash before you apply the glue. If it does not, you may have to remove the half face dash cap and then apply the full face. Maybe another reader here has experienced this problem before and can tell you for sure if a full face will fit over the half face snuggly. You would want a snug fit in all areas of the dash so that the glue when applied will hold the dash cap in all areas...this way it is less likely to vibrate and make some annoying sound that will drive you nuts. You also have another alternative, and that is to take the old dash out along with the half face dash cap and install a used or new dash pad (original style dash board) this is much more expensive and labor intensive. I do not have a dash cap installed nor have I ever installed one, but there are members here who have and I am sure that they would be willing to advise you on the installation of a dash cap or a dash pad, which ever you choose. There is also a previous post concerning dash cap pros and cons from a few months ago, you may want to also read that forum before you make your decision.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dash Restoration

The dash is one solid piece. You can replace the entire dash for about $1000, you can buy a dash cover for about $150 or you can upholster the dash with tweed or whatever. I have a dash cover for sale.I was gonna use it but I'm gonna replace the entire dash instead. Or you can check these websites out:
elcaminostore.com, dixiemontecarlodepot.com, honestcharley.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts