El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm about ready to put the interior back together on my '68 and was wondering what the best sequence to follow for putting the dash back together. Right now all I have in place is the metal frame of the dash, steering column, wiring harness with all the bulbs attached and the heater controls (no a/c). I figure that I'll get this part done before tackling the other interior goodies like, well..., everything else that is not part of the dash!

What I need to install is the gauge cluster, dash face plate (attaching switches, knobs, etc.), heater control mechanism (cables are attached, it's just hanging there), glove box liner, dash speakers and a radio. Dunno what type of radio I'm installing as of yet, possibly one of those retro jobbers, but the wiring will at least be in place.

If anyone has any pictures of the dash speakers and the bracket (mine is missing!) and a pict. of the dash from the drivers seat that would help immensely!

Thanks!

· Registered
271 Posts
I've got my '72 dash out now (for the second time, because of an idiot bodyman). I found the easiest way to install it is to mount the metal framework to the dash and them install the entire unit. A two guy operation. The frame is mounted to the plastic dash with small 1/4" head bolts that are hard to get in place. And, if your dash is like mine, some of the plastic mounts are always broken. I solved that problem drilling the plastic a little larger and installing studs in the holes with epoxy.
Another, "Let the swearing Begin" problem is getting the headlight switch installed with the dash in place. There are two grounding plates that go between the switch and the plastic dash. No room! One of the plates is from the main harness and has a mind of its own. I cut that black wire about midway and installed an original style single-wire connector. That done, you can mount the switch with the dash out and simply connect the wire when it's in.
I install the gauge pod while the dash is out. The radio and heater control can be installed after it's in.

One thing you should NOT forget is to install the defroster duct before the dash.

· Registered
451 Posts
I have found on my 72 Sprint that things are a lot more accessible while the dash pad is off, fairly easy to reach behind from the top rather than standing on your head laying under the dash.
Just starting reinstalling mine a few weekends ago, not enough spare time to do the job at one time.

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.