El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This posting isn't for just a specific Elky listed in the E-Bay auctions but more or less just an observation that I've made.

Maybe it's just recently, but I've noticed many 1964-1972 Elkys up for auction on E-Bay that have horrible seating installations, door pad installations and dash replacements that make me sick! I've seen a few terrible excuses for fender badging, like the letters "SS" painted on, instead of the actual "SS" raised letter badge. I'm perfectly okay with these examples of restoration but it gets a bit frustrating when many of these people expect to get $12,000+ for Elkys that a real expert wouldn't give $1,200 for :!:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks like everybody is trying to make a quick buck these days. For some reason, people who have older cars in their possession seem to go around with the idea that since the car is 20+ years old and the windshield isn't "that rusty", it instantly turns the vehicle into a valuable classic, extremely rare, deal of the century. No matter how many times I come across "deals" like this and hear the story of how good the car looked and performed 15 years ago, I can't help myself and laugh! Cars left in a barn or somewhere outside are not like wine, they don't get better with age!
I guess there are gold diggers in every crowd and they use E-bay to try to turn their trash into treasure. In many cases these self-proclaimed restorers should have left the car alone, tremendous damage is done to good project cars during futile repair attempts, made by people with more enthusiasm (and bigger hammers) than talent.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts