El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Tri-Star 355 performance engine built from a pre 1980 350 4 bolt main.
I am thinking of changing the belt system to a serpentine belt I was told if I got the system off a vortec 5.7 (350) that the aluminum mounting system would bolt up to the 350 block making the belt system work. Did anyone do this?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yes it will work, the brackets from a late 80's early 90's Camaro will work slightly better and also fit the engine you have. S10's 4.3L V6 brackets will fit also. Main thing is you will need a reverse rotation water pump to work with any serpentine setup.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but I've had to replace a lot of idler pulleys and belt tensioners on my GM cars & trucks. And of course when the pulleys or tensioner fails, so does the belt, which isn't too cheap either.
One way to help the pulleys last longer is to repack the bearing in them when they have a bunch of miles on them. They usually have a plastic dust shield on the bearing , which can be removed, to clean & repack the bearing with grease, and the plastic cover snaps back in place. If you get a used set-up, you could repack those.
And by the way, many idler pulley bolts are a LEFT HAND thread ! If the pulley turns counter-clock-wise, it's usually a left hand thread, which is supposed to help keep the bolt in & tight Etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts