El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 79 Elky has 217K on the clock. It leaks a little and slips at the shift point. I can live wih the slip by just backing off in the gas. I wonder if having it serviced will help or just kick a sleeping dog?

Something tells me if I have it sericed they will tell me it needs all kinds of repairs or needs to be replaced. I have no idea when it was last serviced. The fluid looks pretty good.

·
1,867 Posts
Thats a tough one. I think I would be looking for a good th350 to drop in her.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tommy said:
Thats a tough one. I think I would be looking for a good th350 to drop in her.
My long term plan is to get a drop in 350 with tranny. Do them both
at the same time. I just trying to get by with what I have now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
tommy is right. that is the age old question. fix it or patch it. you didn't say which tranny you have. makes alot of difference in cost and feasibility. if you are doing the work yourself, i would probably service it and maybe add one of lucas's additive packages. however, if you intend on taking it somewhere for someone else to do the work, i agree with tommy once again in that i would be looking for a TH350 tranny. not a 350 motor, and put in it. one thing is for sure, it WILL NOT last long if it is slipping. like the FRAM commercial says, you can pay me now or you can pay me even more later. also check the local want ads and such and you might even be lucky and score you a good used one within your budget.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If it's slipping, smell the fluid and it will probably have a burnt smell even if it still looks good. Fluid and a filter could help the problem. Also, if it shifts good cold and slips hot, an external trans cooler will help you get a few more miles out of it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
greasy5thwheel said:
you didn't say which tranny you have. makes alot of difference in cost and feasibility.
I am not sure what tranny is in the car but it does NOT have overdrive. I think it is Turbo Hydra-Matic 200 - 3 speed. I think the 350 has overdrive?

I cannot tell if the leak is the gasket or the seal. It drives fine and my father-in-law (the only other owner) said it has been shifting slow into 3rd gear for the last 10 years. I have just learned to back off a litte as it starts to shift and it goes into gear. It works good in R and R to D and the first two gears shift normal.

Can the 2nd to 3rd shifing be adjusted? My assumption is the transmission service is only a fluid/filter change and I don't see how that will help.

·
Registered
80 Posts
1- th350 is not overdrive
2- if you are not sure where it is leaking from, figure it out
3- if it is the pan, by all means change the filter also
4-if is the rear seal, that is easy to fix, drop the driveshaft, pry the old seal out and gently tap the new one in
5- front seal leaking requires pulling the transmission
6- as far as my book shows, there are no adjustments that can be made inside the transmission
7- a fluid and filter change CAN make a difference but it is'nt a cure all
8- adjust your linkages, both the shifter and, since i'm not familiar with the th200, the detent cable or throttle valve cable
9- also, since i'm not familiar with th200, does it have a vacuum modulator valve? if so, that could be where your leak is and IT DOES have a big effect on how the transmission shifts
10- good luck and hope this helps

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
greasy5thwheel said:
9- also, since i'm not familiar with th200, does it have a vacuum modulator valve? if so, that could be where your leak is and IT DOES have a big effect on how the transmission shifts
Very interesting comment since most of the vacuum hoses were trashed and had to be replaced when I got the car. If the 200 has a vaccum modulator, that could be the probem.

I agree with others that with 217K on the clock it is near end of life. When it goes should I consider having it rebuilt or replace with a new or rebuit tranny?

This is why I said earlier my long term plan would be to replace both the engine and tranny as the same time and maybe go with 350 engine

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Going with a 350THD would be an easy swap...I wouldn't rebuild the trans you have. I'm am not an automatic trans kind of guy...if I had to make the decision I would buy an aftermarket trans like TCI's streetfighter along with a new torque converter, I can replace a trans but when it comes to rebuilding one, I wouldn't know where to begin, I don't have that kind of experience, and besides I like manual shift transmissions. Maybe someone reading this has installed a TCI 350 THD and can let you know the pros and cons of it.

·
1,867 Posts
If the modulator was not getting vacuum it would not shift at all period. Like you said it's wore out & time for replacement. If it's a 200 trash it, if it's a th350 it might be worth rebiulding.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i hate to disagree with anyone here. having said that i have to direct a question to you tommy. have you ever had a vacuum leak? i don't know that this tranny has a vacuum modulator, but if it does and for any reason it is not getting the vacuum it needs or getting more than it needs either, this will make an automatic transmission act up. as for it not shifting, wind it up and the governor weights will make it shift. if he has a history of bad vacuum lines as he said, then i would suspect a vacuum leak now. when he backs out to let it shift, engine vacuum will increase and thusly allowing the tranny to shift. as i said, i don't know anything about a th200. reason i asked if it had a vacuum modulator. i do know that they make adjustable vacuum modulators for th350's and th400's. as for swapping both the motor and transmission, if you go ahead and put the th350 tranny in it now, you can put the 350ci motor in it later.

·
1,867 Posts
Yes, Like you I have never had to deal with a th200 so I don't know about them but I have had alot of experience with the th350. I was talking about no vacuum. If you diconnect the vacuum hose it will not shift into second no matter much you wind it. If there is a slight leak so the mod is not getting the amount of vacuum it should then it could cause shifting problems. So if thats the case I stand corrected. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts