El Camino Central Forum banner

Shade tree mechanic, where do you have to work on your project ?

• Shade tree ?

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Carport ?

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Garage ?

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Friend's, neighbor's, relative's garage, carport, shade tree ?

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Multi bay garage with lifts, paint booth, cappuccino machine, beer on tap ?

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Rented storage unit were you are not allowed to work on you car but you do anyway ?

Votes: 2 7.4%
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Senior Member - 2019 Exceptional Action Award
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
no, but I did have an idiot co-worker who told us about painting his car in his driveway...which was next to the neighbor's driveway.....with their car parked there....and he thought it was funny the neighbor got all p***ed off because the wind blew the paint overspray onto their car.
all of us told him what a dumbss he was and he was lucky he didn't get an a-kicking because of the neighborhood he lived in.
My youngest son painted his 240 SX in the driveway of the house he was renting, he made a nice tent with plastic to keep that from happening. But the driveways is still Mercedes Red till this day ! LOL

·
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Driveway most of the time, garage if it’s needed. In college I’d work in the dorm parking lot or in the street in front of a friend’s rental house. Apartment complex lots, front and back yards after college until I worked my way up to houses with paved driveways and garages. Hoping to build a shop next…
Patrick
Yeah I think most of us worked wherever we could to get are cars done !

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
558 Posts
Hmm patio umbrella sounds like a winner. Now just have to figure out how to let the Mrs talk me into letting her buy a new umbrella for the back patio, so I can abscond with the old one.... 🤣

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,397 Posts
Hmm patio umbrella sounds like a winner. Now just have to figure out how to let the Mrs talk me into letting her buy a new umbrella for the back patio, so I can abscond with the old one.... 🤣
Black Friday is coming up, keep an eye open for 10x10 or 8x8 pop-up canopy deals. under $45 for 8x8 or under $60 for 10x10 is what I consider a killer deal on those.
about 6-7 yrs ago I got a Shelter Logic 10x20 carport tent at Pep Boys for $70 after rebate. normal price was about $110-130. the metal poles are powdercoated and still good even though I've replaced the canopy once already.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, I did all my work with the El Camino
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
on rollers in my 2car. Many things could be done underneath without using a floor jack. Had to push it outside to get the engine in (that would be engine #3). While in the Air Force I was stationed in Cheyenne WY (cold miserable state...and the wind, don't let me starting about the wind). To get out of that weather, I was fortunate. The Air Force bases have auto hobby shops. I have used them over the years for 3 engine swaps. Plus working on other guys cars. While there, someone will always come by to see what I was doing. So please, hold this light, hand me that wrench and other helps. Car Guys, salt of the earth!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Bought my house specifically because of the 2 car garage, sadly my beast has more time in it than I'd prefer.
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Engineering Machine

Reactions: Kamino60

·
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hey, I did all my work with the El Camino View attachment 141291 on rollers in my 2car. Many things could be done underneath without using a floor jack. Had to push it outside to get the engine in (that would be engine #3). While in the Air Force I was stationed in Cheyenne WY (cold miserable state...and the wind, don't let me starting about the wind). To get out of that weather, I was fortunate. The Air Force bases have auto hobby shops. I have used them over the years for 3 engine swaps. Plus working on other guys cars. While there, someone will always come by to see what I was doing. So please, hold this light, hand me that wrench and other helps. Car Guys, salt of the earth!
Super nice ! Yeah most car people are great, always willing to help out ! Love the dif cover and wheel dollies are a great way to work under the car !

·
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Bought my house specifically because of the 2 car garage, sadly my beast has more time in it than I'd prefer. View attachment 141300
Yeah I always wondered if I had a nice two car garage if my Elky would spent more time in it? So many things I would do all at once if I could work on out of the weather.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have always worked out of single car garages on my back with jack stands and had a small rented shop for the large machines. After doing that for 50 years I finally purchased a 5600 sq ft warehouse with a paint booth and in ground lift to have everything in one place.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Yeah I always wondered if I had a nice two car garage if my Elky would spent more time in it? So many things I would do all at once if I could work on out of the weather.
Just go over to a bubby's house and ask if you could use the garage to change your plugs. Pull up with a trailer loaded with tools cherry picker and engine stand.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
While many would picture me having the super nice work area that I should have, I just have a partially enclosed double carport at home. Did add real lights & some exhaust fans several years back. Was going to have a real paint booth at my companies new location, but they decided against spending the $. I have worked on numerous parts at work though, from my custom hood linkage & custom parts to loose body parts. They do have 2 forklifts & a motorized a frame hoist now. Hmmmmm.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
62 Posts
nice! can we pick your brain later about your setup? the good and the bad? I want a similar but larger shop for when I retire.
Sure. Live in Md. Amish built pole barn, 24'x36'x10. Built 3 years ago, total cost including 5" cement floor was just under $18k. Would probably cost twice that now with current material prices. Stoltzfus Builders, in Lititz, Pa, did the job, they were outstanding. They did it all no sub work. Used scissor trusses above where the lift goes to get extra height.

Sky Plant Shade Cloud Wood
Cloud Sky Ecoregion Plant Wood
Wood Fixture Beam Line Composite material
Wood Fixture Beam Line Composite material
Building Sky Window Tree Plant

·
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Sure. Live in Md. Amish built pole barn, 24'x36'x10. Built 3 years ago, total cost including 5" cement floor was just under $18k. Would probably cost twice that now with current material prices. Stoltzfus Builders, in Lititz, Pa, did the job, they were outstanding. They did it all no sub work. Used scissor trusses above where the lift goes to get extra height.

View attachment 141401 View attachment 141402 View attachment 141403 View attachment 141403 View attachment 141404
Great garage !

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,397 Posts
depending on where I settle down for retirement, I was thinking more of a barn-dominium. but a pole barn like that would be nice. I was thinking more of a 30x40x14 for the extra depth and space for heavy duty shelves, and the extra depth for being able to move around with the doors closed and have the toolboxes against the wall like yours.
did you insulate the walls? how do you heat it for working in winter? did you install in-slab heating?

·
Registered
62 Posts
depending on where I settle down for retirement, I was thinking more of a barn-dominium. but a pole barn like that would be nice. I was thinking more of a 30x40x14 for the extra depth and space for heavy duty shelves, and the extra depth for being able to move around with the doors closed and have the toolboxes against the wall like yours.
did you insulate the walls? how do you heat it for working in winter? did you install in-slab heating?
I have no heat in there, don't do much in the winter as I get older, I am a retired old fart. I have a salamander for concentrated heat, if I need winter emergency heat, but have never used it.
In the summer, I have a big Dayton commercial pedestal fan that moves enough air for me.
No insulation, not sure if I'm going to stay in this location, don't care much for the political climate and other liberal issues around central Md. anymore.
It suffices for now, but hate to dump more money in it, if I'm going to be moving.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts