El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not meant to be bash against any brand in subject line its just for info. New to me car with above listed from a seller I trust. Cold start is a 75 percent of time of failure rate so far. Followed owners instructions to start, pump 10 times (no choke on carb ) wait 10 seconds hold at 50 percent and it should fire. I did this and off the trailer it fired up after a few attempts and once hot fires like it should. Next day was a different experience it failed to start until battery was exhausted then eventually fired when battery was all but dead ran great after. Last night after cooling and again today no love. it bucked once like it was trying. Pumped gas as before and nothing, pulled plugs and they were dry looking now after pumping and watching fuel spray in to carb (hood allows me to see it spraying without filter on when i pump from driver seat).

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
With different blends of materials in gasolines in different regions, there can be times when fuel can evaporate from the fuel bowls.
This can also be more of a problem if the fuel path gets hot and the engine is shut off.

Most, if not all, QFT 1000 have sight windows on the bowels. This should let you see if you have fuel in them prior to starting.

I don't use a choke on my Holley DP, yet it does have two 50CC accelerator pumps.
If the truck has not started for a while, I do a "no start" engine turnover. Foot does not touch the accelerator. Turn key to start for 4 seconds to let the mechanical fuel pump start filling the bowls and to let some oil start moving through the engine.
For the second step, accelerator to floor and back once to get the accelerator pumps to put fuel in and then turn key to start for up to 4 seconds. Feather accelerator to keep engine running.
Repeat if needed.
Once started, immediately activate garage door opener to clear out the carbon monoxide.
Watch as the neighbors start flashing their bedroom lights.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Old Bear, With the air filter off I can see it spraying fuel from the driver seat when I pump the pedal, I have been using the sight windows before I get in the car. Once it fires it stays running but getting it to that point has been the issue. I did the 10 pumps watching the fuel spray in the carb, then got out and checked plugs after cranking they did not appear to be wet they looked like normal all be it rich looking but not wet. Thanks for your reply I appreciate it.

·
Registered
12,454 Posts
I would try and figure out what the motor wants..
1 or 2 or 3 or 4 pumps depending on the weather,, and let OFF the throttle..
double-puddle-dumper shouldn't take that much..

seems like holding the throttle half open,
you are clearing the rich condition you just created.. like if it was flooded..

turn the key for 2-3 seconds.. its a Chevy, if it don't start, somethings wrong..

unless its on alcohol all ready, it takes twice as much, drown it..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is on 92 pump gas. Its on the tender now and it should be fully charged tonight when I get off work and we will try again.

·
Registered
12,454 Posts
just fyi
me and a lot of others have seen those foam air filters catch fire more than a few times,
just a small hick-up will light them up,, and depending on the hood insulation material ??
and they do let a lot of dirt thru, mostly just for big rocks..

I don't like glass or plastic fuel filters ether, but there ok for short term testing..

nice Elky

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I learned exactly what you said this weekend fortunately it just melted the the foam. I am in the process of building my own bird catcher style and will be picking up a regular one today / tomorrow that will sit inside the one I am making. (I wanted and excuse to play with my TIG welder. And thanks for the info and complement.

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,521 Posts
Foam is definitely no good in an engine compartment. I also have trouble starting if Killer sits to long (no choke) but he always starts eventually.

btw love that color👍

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am as far south as I plan to go until I retire. As much fun as this car will be and my motorcycles are they are only a means to get me through the summer until the snow flies here in Juneau AK and I fire up my snow machine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spark, or intermittent spark. I had no spark, it appears that the msd rev limiter came loose or unplugged slightly. Pushed back in and like magic it started, scared the **** out of every one cuz no one expected it to go and it was only bumped because we had a plug out to check for spark. That was short lived though ran for 30 min then lost spark again and there has been no return yet. I am going to try a new coil tonight and see what we see.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Saga continues. still no spark, msd 6al passed the their test to see if it is functioning. grounding out the input wire caused the coil to spark. but when cranking car no spark.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts