El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on removing the interior from the 84 I bought recently and have run into a few things I'm having trouble with.

I can't figure out how to remove the shift handle to get the console out of it. I have a GM service manual, but it doesn't have any info on how to do this. I don't want to break anything so I hope somebody can tell me how this works. I have the console loose, but the shifter doesn't fit through the slot without the handle off first. It's the one shaped like a "T" with the button on the side.

I don't want to twist or pull on stuff when I'm not sure what I'm doing. I want to put this console shift and buckets into my 79 eventually. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
look onto the front side of the shaft on the shifter...there is a kind of "u" clip that slides thru it and holds the handle onto the shaft...

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Yeah, look for that clip. looks like a piece of heavy wire once you get it out.

and don't ask DDD for help with that. Once took him a week to get his shifter knob off!
(thought we'd forget about that didn't ya donny?)

:poke::poke::poke::texas:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If somebody swapped in an older shifter (78-80) you just turn the trim plate sideways and it slips off over the shifter handle. 81+ Look for the U shaped clip.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now why didn't I see that clip there in the first place! Probably because I couldn't fit my fat head back there to see it! I swear I looked all over for a set screw or a spring pin to get that thing off. Took me all of two minutes to locate the clip, pull it out and pull of the shift handle, and then out came the console. I've said it before, and I'll say it again about the fine members we have here on this site..........:You_Rock:

·
Registered
19 Posts
1980 Console shift handle removal

Hey folks, I know this thread is old, but it was just what I was looking for. I'm planning to convert from column to console and have a 1980 shifter. There is no pin in it and I thought I would never get it off. With much tugging and persistence it indeed came off the shaft. I wanted to post a picture in case anyone needs to see it to feel comfortable with continuing to pull in order to get it removed. Thanks guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts