El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I replaced my gauge pod/faceplate, it was rubbing my steering column so I used a few washers on the column mount to space it down just a bit. Now the shifter naturally sits lower. It stays in park, its not slipping into gear or anything but I have to hold/force it up all the way into the park position to start. When I let go it slips down again. Is this adjustable? I assume it is, I've just never done it.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Is there a bushing that is worn in your linkage that needs to be replaced to tighten things up? You could switch to a Lokar Universal Shift Linkage that has good adjustability on both ends and a Heim joint at the bottom. This is what I'm running on my 70 with a 4L60E transmission and the only problem I had with it was needing to be very careful in cutting the length of that shaft down during initial installation.

Make incremental small cuts to the length to get it into the adjustability range. You will also likely need to bend the shaft to get it to contour its way around the curve of the firewall at the bottom. Bend first, then begin the cuts for proper length.

Rick

·
Premium Member
5,762 Posts
There is a factory adjustment located where the cross shaft from the transmission connects to the rod coming down from the column. 1/2 in ch or 13mm wrench to loosen the pinch bolt. Loosen bolt, make sure the lever is in park and the transmission is in park - re-tighten. DONE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts