El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace my 76's existing shocks with KYB's because I hear they are the "poo poo". I've never changed shocks so I was wondering if it was as simple as unbolting the old ones and bolting the new ones on? Do they need adjusting, and if so how is that done? Also, if I lowered the suspension would I need to do anything to the shocks like re-adjusting? thanks for the help on a newbie question.

·
Banned
881 Posts
It's not hard to change all of the shocks. Since I don't have a lift I'll give you my process for changing shocks with the car on jackstands. :wink:

First get the car up on 4 jackstands. I take the 4 wheels off for better access but it can be done with them on too.

For the fronts, put a floor jack with a small 2X4 under the lower control arm at the ball joint end and compress the spring slightly to hold the lower control arm in place. Remove the two screws from the bottom of the shock (save them) and the nut from the top shaft. The shock should drop down. The main problem I encounter is rusted threads on the top shaft. Having a set of torches (and a garden hose) handy is much quicker than fighting with rusted parts. Install the new bushings and washers on top, the two bottom bolts, and your done.

For the backs, put a floor jack under the differential housing and compress the springs slightly. Put another set of jack stands under the axle tubes and lower the rear onto them. Now you can remove the rear shocks without worrying about having the rear end land on your chest. :roll: There are two nuts and bolts on the top of each shock and one lower nut to remove. Some shocks come with a new lower mounting stud also. Now's the time to replace it. Install the new rear shock.

Take the car off the jackstands and enjoy the new ride.

:mrgreen:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts