El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Elky it had Monroe Maxair MA789 air shocks on the rear and some old Monroe front shocks (I think). I replaced the fronts with the Gabriel Load Carriers due to the shocks were completely shot. Few months later I had both rear shocks blow, which I replaced with Gabriel Guardians. Now that I have them on there as well as my exhaust finally finished, I have noticed that when i hit potholes and speed bumps the rear axle is hitting my over-axle bends. Even with the blown air shocks, which I was forced to drive on to get to Autozone, I did not notice it. Granted, I didn't have the over axle bends but with how big of a dent there is in the bends on the driver side I would have heard the suspension bottom out and the tires rub. Could I have used the wrong shocks? I've been thinking abut going back to air shocks because I like the flexibility of choosing how high I want the rear. Suggestions anyone? and I'm also interested in maybe a taller air shock in the rear for the classic GTO look, low to the ground in the front and high in the air in back.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,778 Posts
How about some air lift 1000 air bags that go in the springs !! KYB's gas-a-just shocks are great with these !!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just put a set of max-airs in my 79, and love not rubbing fenders and cutting tires anymore. Mine would rub on bumps and even if I cornered heavily. I went with the air shocks due to low budget at the time, but when they're blown, I'll go with air bags next. Somebody will probably respond here shortly with a name of brand to use.

·
Registered
113 Posts
or even sooner! as I seem to type slow in responding! see above! lol

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
they didnt make your tail pipes correctly.the mufler shop did the same thing to mine. take it back and have them fix it

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tailpipes were done correctly... It is the shocks... they are to short, i just remembered thaf ths first thing I noticed after changing them was that it sat lower

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Shocks (except air shocks that are pumped up) do not hold the vehicle up. The springs are supposed to handle that duty. You need to get your ride heigth correct without the shocks even connected then deal with the shocks. If the rear exhaust is bent and placed correctly the axle won't hit it before bottoming.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got tired of my rear end sagging, went to a junk yard, got some springs off a 79 Buick station wagon. Solved the leaking air shock and sagging rear end problem. If I need to tow something, no problem with ride height.:let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any suggestions as to what years and vehicles to look at when I go to the junkyard? I want something thats stock or a little taller

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
buying used springs is ok in a pinch ,but they are pretty cheap to buy new. if you go to moogs website and look at thier spring catalog it will list the springs and thier make up. spring rate/coil dia./wire dia./installed and free height/ end types. all it takes to figure out what you have is a tape measure and a caliper to measure what you have and go up or down from there.it gives you the moog part # so you can order them from a retailer like napa or any other vender you use

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just realize the only hits the exhaust when I'm going over 45 miles an hour. Any slower and everything is fine, nothing bottoms out. Which means it is in fact the over axle bends. So now the question is do I have them fix the pipe or do I have them reroute the exhaust to exit infront of the rear wheel?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
fix the exhaust bends correctly.any shop familiar with these cars knows the correct position of the tail pipe bends

1 - 13 of 13 Posts